About This Chapter
Communication & Interpersonal Relations in Nursing - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Effective communication is vital in nurse-patient relationships. This chapter looks at positive communication methods for nurses and the best ways to deal with people under their care. Each lesson will examine specific elements of communication and explain how to develop caring relationships. Take a short end-of-lesson quiz to measure your knowledge of the material and feel free to contact a knowledgeable instructor with any questions that you may have. These lessons will address the following questions:
- How is communication related to assessment, diagnosis and planning?
- What is therapeutic communication?
- How can nurses educate patients?
- What is the patient discharge process like?
- What are the components of the nurse-patient relationship?
|Therapeutic Communication: Definition, Goals, Types & Principles||Learn about therapeutic communication.|
|The Nurse-Patient Relationship: Components, Phases & Outcomes||Explore the nurse-patient relationship.|
|Factors Influencing the Communication Process||Consider the influences on the process of communication.|
|How Nurses Can Provide Clear Patient Education||Learn the ways for nurses to effectively educate patients.|
|Nursing & Patient Education: Principles of Learning||Determine the basic principles of learning.|
|Nursing & Patient Education: Learning Barriers & Domains||Analyze the many learning barriers and domains related to patients and nurses.|
|Nursing & Patient Education: Strategies for Children||This lesson will detail how to work with patients that are children.|
|Nursing & Patient Education: Strategies for Adults||Identify various strategies for relating to adult patients.|
|Nursing & Patient Education: Patients with Special Needs||Study different techniques for approaching patients who have special needs.|
|Patient Discharge Process: Discharge Planning||Learn how to plan the discharge process.|
|Patient Discharge Process: Discharge Risk Factors||Look at some possible risks associated with the discharge process.|
|Patient Discharge Process: Discharge Summary||Follow the discharge process and look at some possible risks.|
|Nursing Case Study: Communication & Interpersonal Relations||Discover the importance of communication in nursing through a case study.|
1. Therapeutic Communication: Definition, Goals, Types & Principles
By learning the techniques of therapeutic communication, a nurse can help a patient feel cared for and understood. Learn how to identify the verbal and non-verbal cues that lead to effective therapeutic communication.
2. The Nurse-Patient Relationship: Components, Phases & Outcomes
A therapeutic nurse-patient relationship is a supportive interaction that moves a patient toward wellness. It's based on trust, respect, interest, and empathy. Learn how to use these components to move patients through each phase of the relationship.
3. Nursing & Patient Education: Purpose, Assumptions & Topics
In this lesson, you're going to take a close look at the fundamental and important purposes, assumptions, and topics involved in appropriate client (patient) education.
4. Nursing & Patient Education: Principles of Learning
There are eight important principles of learning every nurse should be aware of to ensure that the clients they are educating are learning and retaining the information and skills they need in the best possible manner.
5. Nursing & Patient Education: Learning Barriers & Domains
When teaching a patient about their illness or injury, several barriers must be overcome for learning to occur. This lesson explores these barriers as well as the three major domains of learning that must be taken into account.
6. Nursing & Patient Education: Strategies for Children
When teaching children important medical concepts, should you teach them the same way as an adult? If not, then what are some key strategies for teaching children? This lesson explores many of them.
7. Nursing & Patient Education: Strategies for Adults
The way a nurse should educate an adult client will actually depend on the age of the adult. Not only will the strategies differ, especially for older adults, but the relevant content that should be taught will differ as well.
8. Nursing & Patient Education: Patients With Special Needs
In this lesson, you're going to learn about the different special needs patients may have and how they relate to patient education and the different aspects thereof.
9. Patient Discharge Process: Discharge Planning
This lesson is going to go step-by-step through the patient discharge planning process. We will cover the possible variations at each step in the process.
10. Patient Discharge Process: Discharge Risk Factors
This lesson is going to take an in-depth look at the patient discharge risk factors most commonly seen. We will discuss examples of each risk factor and see how they can result in readmission.
11. Patient Discharge Process: Discharge Summary
In this lesson, we're going to break down the various parts that need to be included in a patient discharge summary. We'll also cover a few examples for each part of the discharge summary.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Nursing 101: Fundamentals of Nursing course
- The Profession of Nursing
- Nursing Safety
- Hygiene for Nurses
- Asepsis & Infection Control
- Medication Administration & Nursing
- Understanding the Body's Defenses in Nursing
- Understanding Rest & Sleep for Nurses
- Mobility & Immobility Issues in Nursing
- Understanding Pain & Pain Management for Nurses
- Understanding Nutrition for Nurses
- Fluid & Electrolyte Balance Concerns in Nursing
- Understanding Elimination in Nursing
- Understanding Oxygenation in Nursing