About This Chapter
Communication Processes and Skills - Chapter Summary
Review information on the communications process and important communications terms. See why nonverbal communications is important, and learn tips for listening effectively. Find out how emotions can influence communications, and discuss communications strategies. These lessons and their quizzes should prepare you to:
- Define key communications terms
- Understand how nonverbal communications among group members can point to potential communications problems
- Define effective listening
- Explain techniques for effective listening
- Utilize conversation strategies
- Show how emotions can be used for persuasion
These short video and text lessons make learning efficient and enjoyable, and the quizzes that go with them allow you to check on how much you've learned. If you need to review particular topics, video links allow you to return to exactly the part of the lesson you need without watching the rest of the video. Need more help? Your instructor is available to answer questions on a one-to-one basis.
1. The Communication Process
This lesson describes the process of communication. Terms such as sender, receiver, channel, encoding, decoding, noise, and feedback will be defined and explained with examples.
2. Understanding the Nonverbal Communication of Group Members
Nonverbal communication can be difficult to comprehend in group business environment. Subtle cues are often missed, which can easily have verbal messages misunderstood. There are five key functions of nonverbal communication that can help identify potential issues in communication.
3. Listening Effectively in Groups: Critical, Selective, Active & Empathetic Listening
Being an effective listener allows relationship building and leads to increased productivity in the workplace. To form an environment for effective listening, you need to know the best group sizes and the four types of effective listening.
4. Improving Communication Skills: Self-Disclosure, Listening & Non-Verbal Communication
Self-disclosure, listening, and nonverbal communication are three important conversation strategies people use. This lesson will discuss what they are, how they may be interpreted, and some tips for improving them.
5. How Emotion Influences Attitudes and Persuasion
Emotions can be used to induce attitude change in a number of ways. In this lesson, we discuss how they can be used within persuasive communication to illicit both short-term and long-term attitude change.
6. Effective Listening: Definition & Obstacles
It seems counterintuitive that a public speaker should focus on effective listening. However, a good public speaker must know a few things about his audience in order to effectively communicate his message.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NYSTCE Health Education (073): Practice and Study Guide course
- Human Growth & Development
- Childhood Growth & Development
- Adolescence Growth & Development
- Adult Growth & Development
- Human Reproduction, Pregnancy & Birth
- Introduction to Health & Wellness
- Introduction to Disease & Illness
- Mental Distress, Depression & Suicide
- Basic Principles of Nutrition
- Carbohydrates in Nutrition
- Lipids in Nutrition
- Protein in Nutrition
- Water as a Nutrient
- Minerals & Nutrition
- Vitamins in Nutrition
- Eating Disorders & Treatments
- Benefits of Physical Fitness
- Health Risk Education
- Injury Prevention Strategies
- Substance Use & Abuse
- Human Sexuality & Health
- Family & Social Systems
- Discrimination, Aggression & Conflict
- Media & Advertising of Health Information
- Resources for Health Information
- Health Care Systems
- Overview of Health Education Programs
- NYSTCE Health Education Flashcards