About This Chapter
Communication Skills for Selling - Chapter Summary
Whether you're looking to better understand different types of communication or want to examine the importance of tone of voice in sales, this chapter can help! Review engaging lessons developed by our top instructors to ensure you have a quality grasp of communication skills for selling. Study any number of lessons in any order you desire, and check your knowledge of concepts covered in the lessons by taking the accompanying quizzes. Use our Dashboard to keep track of your progress through this chapter and submit any lesson topic questions to our experts. After utilizing these study resources, you will be able to:
- List and describe key communication skills for sales professionals
- Share examples of barriers to effective communication
- Define and list techniques for effective listening in the workplace
- Provide examples of nonverbal cues in communication
- Discuss best practices for interpreting and responding to signals from buyers
- Offer strategies for reading between the lines in sales conversations
- Explain the importance of avoiding assumptions in sales
- Give tips for leaving a lasting impression in sales
- Identify and discuss benefits of building trust in sales
1. Key Communication Skills for Sales Professionals
Communication skills can be a deal breaker for sales professionals and their customers. In this lesson, you'll learn more about some key communication skills that will set a great sales professional apart.
2. Types of Communication: Interpersonal, Non-Verbal, Written & Oral
This lesson distinguishes between the various methods of communication used by managers, including interpersonal communication, nonverbal communication, written communication and oral communication.
3. Barriers to Effective Communication: Definition & Examples
Companies need to be aware of potential barriers to communication. In general, physical separation and differences in status differences, gender, culture and language can potentially either block or distort effective communication.
4. What Is Effective Listening in the Workplace? - Definition, Techniques & Barriers
Effective listening skills allow individuals to retain information by showing interest, listening and providing feedback to the other party in the communication exchange. There are specific techniques that will help individuals overcome listening barriers.
5. Tone of Voice in Sales: Importance & Techniques
In this lesson, you'll learn how you can use your tone of voice to increase your sales. Learn how to speak with the right pitch, volume, and speed to highlight the important points of your product to convince others to purchase from you.
6. Nonverbal Cues in Communication: Examples & Overview
Did you know that your nonverbal cues can communicate your mood and personality? In this lesson, we'll talk about the different types of nonverbal cues and look at some real-life examples.
7. Interpreting & Responding to Signals from Buyers
Your customers are giving signals about their buying intentions with their body language and actions - are you picking up on them? In this lesson, we'll give you an understanding of body language from the customer's side and your side.
8. Reading Between the Lines in Sales Conversations
In this lesson, learn strategies you can employ to read between the lines in a sales conversation. Discover which questions you can ask and what to look for to find out what your potential customer isn't willing to voice.
9. The Importance of Avoiding Assumptions in Sales
This lesson goes over the concepts of assumptions and false assumptions and how they apply to sales. You'll learn about numerous false assumptions some sales professionals make.
10. How to Leave a Lasting Impression in Sales
We all know the first impression is important, but how about a lasting impression? In this lesson, you'll learn more about techniques for helping sales professionals leave a lasting impression on clients.
11. The Benefits of Building Trust in Sales
Honesty is critical in building trust for sales professionals. In this lesson, you'll learn more about the role and importance of honesty in building trust and rapport in the sales world.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Marketing 306: Principles of Selling course