About This Chapter
Communication Skills for Team Leaders - Chapter Summary
Our professional instructors have put this chapter together to provide team leaders with information on ways they can improve their communications skills. Lessons also will help them upgrade their abilities in keeping good relationships with team members. When your organization's team leaders complete this assessment they will understand:
- The seven qualities of an effective leader
- Why strong communications skills are vital to leadership
- Barriers of communication and how they affect effective communication
- The role of interpersonal skills in workplace communications
- Emotional intelligence and how it is related to communication
- How to develop trust between themselves and team members
Following these lessons, they will be able to discover what topics they may need to review further by completing the lesson quizzes and assessing their results. To improve their understanding of these topics, they can return to lessons and review them again if needed.
How It Helps
- Builds awareness: These lessons will help team leaders discover the importance of effective communication within teams.
- Improve communication skills: Your team leaders will be able to improve their skills communicating by improving their understanding of the different factors that affect communications.
- Enhances team productivity: Teams headed by leaders who can effectively communicate the goals and activities of the team will be more productive than teams led by untrained leaders.
By the end of this chapter, team leaders will be able to:
- Implement steps to improve leadership skills
- Communicate effectively with their team
- Develop trust between themselves and their team
1. Qualities of Effective Leadership
Effective leadership takes effort, commitment, and a passion for the success of others. In this lesson, the seven qualities to be an effective leader are discussed. By implementing these steps, you too can be an effective leader.
2. The Importance of Strong Communication Skills for Leaders
There is nothing more frustrating than a leader who doesn't have strong communication skills. Likewise, working with someone who values effective communication makes work more enjoyable. This lesson discusses the value of strong communication skills.
3. Barriers to Effective Communication: Definition & Examples
Companies need to be aware of potential barriers to communication. In general, physical separation and differences in status differences, gender, culture and language can potentially either block or distort effective communication.
4. Interpersonal Skills in the Workplace: Examples and Importance
The ability to communicate within an organization depends heavily upon people's interpersonal skills. These are the tools people use to interact and communicate with individuals in an organizational environment.
5. Communication Strategies for Virtual Teams
Communication is one of the factors that can make or break a virtual team. Having strategies to encourage and support the needed communication is vital for a virtual team's success. Use these tips to improve communication.
6. Using Emotional Intelligence in Leadership
Many times managers or leaders focus on the functional aspects of the job you do, as opposed to the emotional intelligence that drives the way you do your job. We will discuss emotional intelligence and how it relates to leadership in this lesson.
7. Leader-Member Exchange Theory and Organizational Behavior
As we work with our managers and leaders, we begin to develop a level of trust between us. The employee trusts the leader will be good and fair, and the leader also develops trust in the employee's ability to do his job.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.