About This Chapter
Communication Skills in Customer Service - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, your employees can review communication methods designed to help them interact with various types of customers. They will learn ways to talk with customers of diverse cultural backgrounds and behavior styles and understand why communication is so crucial to their positions. By using this professional development tool, your employees will learn more about:
- The importance of communications to both external and internal customer service
- Effective face-to-face customer service methods
- How to handle angry, aggressive and other types of customers
- How to adjust communications to provide service to culturally diverse customers
Video and text formats can be accessed at all times, from any device, so you'll find it simple to schedule training sessions that work for you and your employees. Measure what your customer service staff has learned by having them take lesson-specific assessment quizzes.
How It Helps
- Improves face-to-face customer service: Shows your employees how to communicate with customers in face-to-face situations, such as those seen in retail settings.
- Enhances communication skills: Helps your employees understand why communication is vital to their profession and emphasizes how they should apply communication methods.
- Prepares customer service staff to work with diverse customers: Describes effective communication methods your employees can use with a broad customer base.
By the end of this chapter, your customer service employees will be able to:
- Realize the impact of both good and poor communication habits in the customer service field
- Implement strong face-to-face customer service skills
- Apply appropriate responses to customers with various behavioral issues
- Use effective communication methods that take into account demographics and a customer's culture
1. Importance of Effective Communication in Customer Service
Effective communication in customer service is very important. This is not just in terms of dealing with customers but also when dealing with other employees and with the company itself.
2. Face-to-Face Customer Service Skills
Customer service is an important part of building relationships in business. The use of soft skills will shape the customer experience and play a large role in the decision to return for future business. Learn what these skills are and how to implement them!
3. Practical Application: Assessing Face-to-Face Customer Service Skills
Use the self-assessment questions in this practical application to assess face-to-face customer service skills. You will also find some tips on how to improve in this vital skill area.
4. Serving Diverse & Multicultural Customers
As the world gets smaller, we meet more people from other countries, and more often. This lesson examines what can be done when faced with customers from different cultures with different communication styles.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.