About This Chapter
Community & Public Health
In these lessons, our instructors will go over the elements and effects of public health policy. Each lesson has a specific focus, varying from consumer health, to the Affordable Care Act, to ethical research practices related to community and public health. This chapter will help you understand how the U.S. health care system is structured and how demographics play a role in health. When you finish the chapter, you should have knowledge of the following:
- Consumer health
- Health Promotion Model
- Economics and health
- Promotion of health behaviors
- Medicare and Medicaid
- Physical Examinations
- Types of health care professionals
The learning process is streamlined through the use of short, to-the-point videos constructed by experts in this area. Each video contains a self-assessment quiz which can be taken before and after viewing to help you monitor your learning and identify important information from each lesson. After taking the quizzes, you can review the specific areas you did not score well on by using the interactive timeline that each video features.
1. Consumer Health: Laws, Regulations & Agencies
In this lesson we will look at a brief history of laws protecting consumer health, current laws, and agencies involved in consumer protection in the United States.
2. What Is the Health Promotion Model? - Definition & Theory
In this lesson, you will learn about the health promotion model and its influences on health behaviors. You will also gain an understanding of the theory behind the health promotion model and how that theory affects health promotion outcomes.
3. Health Behaviors and Promotion: Definition & Explanation
In this lesson, we will discuss health promotion, health behavior, and the three different kinds of disease prevention strategies you can employ to stay healthy for as long as possible.
4. Ethical Research: Maintaining Privacy, Anonymity & Confidentiality
When performing research, there are certain expectations that a researcher must follow to protect their subjects. We will explore a few of the different ways that a subject's responses are kept from being used against them.
5. The Role of Demographics on Health: Global Perspective & Influences
This lesson will explain to you the many different factors that influence the likelihood or possibility of developing health related problems. Namely, we'll talk about the environment, the world at large, and things like income, gender, and ethnic background.
6. Economics and Health: Healthcare, Medical Issues & Income
What is the relationship between economy and health? In this lesson, we discuss differences in healthcare and medical issues in low-income versus high-income countries. We also define social epidemiology and discuss the link between poverty and poor health.
7. The U.S. Health Care System: Description, Structure, Cost, Quality & Access
This lesson will explore the issues associated with the costs and quality of health care access, as well as what HMOs, PPOs, POS, HSAs, Medicare, and Medicaid are.
8. Types of Health Care: HMOs, PPOs, Socialized Medicine & Direct-Fee System
In this lesson, we discuss health care as a social institution and how health care systems differ worldwide. We also discuss several different ways that health care is paid for by patients, organizations and government.
9. Health Insurance and Health Care: Overview, Roles & Regulations
This lesson will explain the major aspects of health insurance and its role in your health care costs. We will discuss premiums, deductibles, coinsurance, copays, and more!
10. Affordable Health Care Act: Description, Overview & Relevance to HR Management
One of the newest federal laws facing employers today is the Affordable Care Act. In this lesson, you'll be provided an overview of the Affordable Care Act and its relevance to human resource management. A short quiz follows.
11. Medicare and Medicaid: Definitions & Functions
This lesson will teach and define what Medicare and Medicaid are, what they are for, what they provide, and for whom they were established for. We'll also cover the four main parts of Medicare.
12. Types of Healthcare Professionals & Delivery Systems
Healthcare professionals take on many different roles to deliver quality patient care. Not only do healthcare workers provide care in the hospital settings, but they also work in several other care delivery systems. This lesson will describe various healthcare roles and the variety of delivery systems in which they work.
13. Your Physical Exam: Purpose & Major Components
The physical exam is one of the most important tools at your doctor's disposal. Find out why, as well as what the major components of this critical test actually are.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AEPA Health (NT505): Practice & Study Guide course
- Fundamentals of Health & Wellness
- Human Growth & Development
- Childhood Growth & Development
- Adolescent Growth and Development
- Adult Growth and Development
- Fundamentals of Nutrition
- Impacts of Dietary Choices on Health in the U.S.
- Carbohydrates in Health & Nutrition
- Lipids in Health & Nutrition
- Protein in Nutrition
- Water as a Nutrient
- Minerals & Nutrition
- Mineral Deficiency & Toxicity in the Body
- Vitamins in Nutrition
- Introduction to Disease
- Immunity & Disease
- Drug Use & Abuse
- Alcohol & Tobacco Use and Personal Health
- Drugs & Substance Use Disorders
- Emotional & Mental Health Management
- Family Systems & Healthy Behavior
- Elements of Interpersonal Relationships
- Sexuality & Health
- Contraception and Family Planning
- Human Reproduction, Pregnancy & Birth
- Conflict & Resolution
- Social Health & Diversity
- Introduction to Environmental Health and Risk Analysis
- Environmental Health: Issues and Human Concerns
- Personal Safety Precautions
- Understanding Health Information
- Media & Advertising of Health Information
- Physical Fitness & Nutrition
- Weight Management & Nutrition
- Motor Skills & Movement Activities
- Kinesiology & Biomechanics
- Softball Rules & Skills
- Soccer History & Rules
- Swimming Skills & Benefits
- Tennis Rules & Techniques
- History & Rules of Track & Field
- Volleyball History & Rules
- Principles of Gymnastic Activities
- AEPA Health Flashcards