About This Chapter
Compass Math: Decimals - Chapter Summary
Let the video lessons in this chapter help you strengthen your skills in working with decimal numbers before you take the ACT Compass Math Test. Our instructors explain place value, ordering decimals and demonstrate the process of performing math operations with decimals. You'll also practice estimating, converting and solving problems with decimals. By the time you make it through the lessons, you should be able to do the following:
- Read decimals using place value
- Compare and order decimals
- Add, subtract, multiply and divide decimals
- Solve problems with decimal numbers
- Estimate decimals to answer problems
- Convert decimals to mixed numbers
Developed by professional instructors, our math videos are short but packed with clear explanations, engaging graphics and several example problems. Learning helpful tips and techniques for solving decimal problems can help you feel more prepared for the ACT Compass Math Test.
Objectives of the Compass Math: Decimals Chapter
Colleges use scores on the ACT Compass Math Test to determine students' placement in math courses. The topic of decimals is covered in the numerical skills/pre-algebra content domain of the ACT Compass Mathematics Test. The decimal questions comprise one of more than 12 topic subareas that are included in the numerical skills/pre-algebra portion of the exam.
Like the self-assessment lesson quizzes offered in this chapter, the ACT Compass math questions are in multiple-choice format. You're allowed to use a calculator to complete this computerized test, but it must meet ACT requirements.
1. What is a Decimal Place Value?
In this video lesson, you will see how a decimal, a simple dot, can change the place value of all the digits in a number. You will also learn how to read decimals using place values.
2. Comparing and Ordering Decimals
In this video lesson, you'll find out how you can look at any two decimals and immediately tell which is greater than the other. You'll also learn how to quickly sort decimals from least to greatest or vice versa.
3. Adding and Subtracting Decimals: Examples & Word Problems
In math, we sometimes have to deal with decimal numbers instead of our nice whole numbers. Watch this video lesson to learn the one thing that you have to take into consideration when adding and subtracting decimals.
4. Multiplying and Dividing Decimals: Examples & Word Problems
Watch this video lesson to learn what you need to do to get a correct answer when multiplying and dividing decimals. Learn the easy tricks to figuring out where the decimal point goes.
5. Solving Problems Using Decimal Numbers
Problems involving decimal numbers might sound like a way to torture you, but learning how important these types of problems are in the real world is important. In this lesson, you will see a couple areas in life where you routinely encounter decimal number problems.
6. How to Estimate with Decimals to Solve Math Problems
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can estimate problems with decimals in them so you can get a quick answer when you need it - for example, when you are at the gas station and you need to know how much gas you can afford.
7. Converting Decimals to Mixed Numbers
After watching this video lesson, you should be able to convert easily between decimals and mixed numbers. Learn what kinds of decimals you can and cannot convert to a mixed number.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ACT Compass Math Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- Compass Math: Integers
- Compass Math: Fractions
- Compass Math: Exponents
- Compass Math: Roots & Radicals
- Compass Math: Percents
- Compass Math: Ratios, Rates & Proportions
- Compass Math: Median, Mean & Mode
- Compass Math: Algebraic Equations & Expressions
- Compass Math: Linear Equations
- Compass Math: Substituting Values
- Compass Math: Monomials & Polynomials
- Compass Math: Factoring Polynomials
- Compass Math: Matrices & Absolute Value
- Compass Math: Inequalities
- Compass Math: Complex Numbers
- Compass Math: Logarithms
- Compass Math: Basic Geometry
- Compass Math: Lines & Angles
- Compass Math: Polygons
- Compass Math: Triangles
- Compass Math: Quadrilaterals
- Compass Math: Circles
- Compass Math: Similar Figures
- Compass Math: Complex Figures
- Compass Math: Constructions
- Compass Math: Area, Circumference & Perimeter
- Compass Math: Mathematical Modeling
- Compass Math: Quadratics
- Compass Math: Quadratic Functions
- Compass Math: Trigonometric Functions
- Compass Math: Rational Functions
- Compass Math: Function Operations
- Compass Math: Trigonometric Identities
- Compass Math: Trigonometric Equations
- Compass Math: Trigonometric Applications
- Compass Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- Compass Math: Graph Symmetry
- Compass Math: Polar Coordinates & Parameterization