About This Chapter
Compass Math: Graph Symmetry - Chapter Summary
Watch these brief, entertaining videos to review the graph symmetry concepts you'll likely see on your Compass Math course placement assessment. Short, illustrative videos demonstrate the following concepts:
- Symmetry about the X- and Y- axes
- Symmetry about the origin
- How to locate lines of symmetry
- Examples of even and odd functions
You'll find a short multiple-choice quiz after each video, allowing you to try your hand at applying the lessons from the videos. If you'd like a second look at any of the concepts, check out the lesson transcripts- key ideas are emphasized.
Objectives of the Compass Math: Graph Symmetry Chapter
This chapter offers an array of convenient, time-saving resources and exercises to help you refresh your memory of the graph symmetry concepts you'll likely see on your Compass Math placement assessment. The results of the exam will be used to determine which course offered by your college or school is most appropriate for you.
You won't be timed on the exam, which is computer-administered. It keeps track of your answers as you work through the test and adjusts the difficulty of the questions it asks you based on how well you're performing. All questions on the assessment are multiple-choice, just like the questions from our lesson quizzes.
1. Recognizing Symmetry Graphically, Algebraically, and Numerically About the X-axis and Y-axis
When you fold a piece of paper exactly in half, you are creating symmetry. Symmetry is found in many areas of mathematics. In this lesson, learn to recognize symmetry graphically, algebraically, and numerically about the x- and y- axes.
2. Recognizing Symmetry Graphically, Algebraically & Numerically About the Origin
If you look at flowers and fruits, you'll see that many of these items in nature are symmetrical. In this lesson, learn about symmetry about the origin of a graph. When you are finished, test your knowledge with a short quiz!
3. Identifying the Line of Symmetry: Definition & Examples
Symmetry can occur in many different ways in mathematics. In this lesson, learn how to identify unique forms of symmetry by finding the line of symmetry.
4. Even & Odd Functions: Definition & Examples
Even and odd functions are an aspect of line symmetry. You can use knowledge of even and odd functions to quickly identify equation symmetry. After this lesson, test your knowledge with a short quiz!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ACT Compass Math Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- Compass Math: Integers
- Compass Math: Decimals
- Compass Math: Fractions
- Compass Math: Exponents
- Compass Math: Roots & Radicals
- Compass Math: Percents
- Compass Math: Ratios, Rates & Proportions
- Compass Math: Median, Mean & Mode
- Compass Math: Algebraic Equations & Expressions
- Compass Math: Linear Equations
- Compass Math: Substituting Values
- Compass Math: Monomials & Polynomials
- Compass Math: Factoring Polynomials
- Compass Math: Matrices & Absolute Value
- Compass Math: Inequalities
- Compass Math: Complex Numbers
- Compass Math: Logarithms
- Compass Math: Basic Geometry
- Compass Math: Lines & Angles
- Compass Math: Polygons
- Compass Math: Triangles
- Compass Math: Quadrilaterals
- Compass Math: Circles
- Compass Math: Similar Figures
- Compass Math: Complex Figures
- Compass Math: Constructions
- Compass Math: Area, Circumference & Perimeter
- Compass Math: Mathematical Modeling
- Compass Math: Quadratics
- Compass Math: Quadratic Functions
- Compass Math: Trigonometric Functions
- Compass Math: Rational Functions
- Compass Math: Function Operations
- Compass Math: Trigonometric Identities
- Compass Math: Trigonometric Equations
- Compass Math: Trigonometric Applications
- Compass Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- Compass Math: Polar Coordinates & Parameterization