About This Chapter
Compass Math: Median, Mean & Mode - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, our instructors guide you through the process of calculating mean, median and mode, and they present problems so you can practice building these pre-algebra math skills. The lessons cover the following topics:
- Discussing spread in data sets
- Defining the center in a data set
- Examining measures of central tendency
- Exploring calculations of mean, median, mode and range
- The definition and purpose of the standard deviation
Our lessons offer a number of approaches to study this material. Each video is less than 10 minutes long and can be re-watched any number of times. Read lesson transcripts to help drive home the information presented by the instructors. Take the multiple-choice chapter exam to practice what you learned while watching the videos.
Compass Math: Median, Mean & Mode Chapter Objectives
Many colleges use the ACT Compass Math tests to evaluate a new student's math knowledge for college course placement purposes. All test questions are multiple choice and provided in a computerized format. There is no time limit, so students can work at their own pace.
Our lessons provide a convenient and time-effective way to study median, mean and mode. Use the lessons, quizzes and chapter exam to prepare to take the Numerical Skills/Pre-algebra portion of the ACT Compass Math test.
1. Spread in Data Sets: Definition & Example
Identifying the spread in data sets is a very important part of statistics. You can do this several ways, but the most common methods are through range, interquartile range, and variance.
2. What is the Center in a Data Set? - Definition & Options
Finding the center in a data set can sometimes be a little confusing. This lesson will help you determine the correct method for finding the center in a data set, and when you are finished, test your knowledge with a short quiz!
3. Mean, Median & Mode: Measures of Central Tendency
By describing the data using central tendency, a researcher and reader can understand what the typical score looks like. In this lesson, we will explore in more detail these measures of central tendency and how they relate to samples and populations.
4. How to Calculate Mean, Median, Mode & Range
Measures of central tendency can provide valuable information about a set of data. In this lesson, explore how to calculate the mean, median, mode and range of any given data set.
5. Calculating the Mean, Median, Mode & Range: Practice Problems
Calculating the mean, median, mode, and range of a data set is a fundamental part of learning statistics. Use this video to practice your skills and then test your knowledge with a short quiz.
6. Calculating the Standard Deviation
In this lesson, we will examine the meaning and process of calculating the standard deviation of a data set. Standard deviation can help to determine if the data set is a normal distribution.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ACT Compass Math Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- Compass Math: Integers
- Compass Math: Decimals
- Compass Math: Fractions
- Compass Math: Exponents
- Compass Math: Roots & Radicals
- Compass Math: Percents
- Compass Math: Ratios, Rates & Proportions
- Compass Math: Algebraic Equations & Expressions
- Compass Math: Linear Equations
- Compass Math: Substituting Values
- Compass Math: Monomials & Polynomials
- Compass Math: Factoring Polynomials
- Compass Math: Matrices & Absolute Value
- Compass Math: Inequalities
- Compass Math: Complex Numbers
- Compass Math: Logarithms
- Compass Math: Basic Geometry
- Compass Math: Lines & Angles
- Compass Math: Polygons
- Compass Math: Triangles
- Compass Math: Quadrilaterals
- Compass Math: Circles
- Compass Math: Similar Figures
- Compass Math: Complex Figures
- Compass Math: Constructions
- Compass Math: Area, Circumference & Perimeter
- Compass Math: Mathematical Modeling
- Compass Math: Quadratics
- Compass Math: Quadratic Functions
- Compass Math: Trigonometric Functions
- Compass Math: Rational Functions
- Compass Math: Function Operations
- Compass Math: Trigonometric Identities
- Compass Math: Trigonometric Equations
- Compass Math: Trigonometric Applications
- Compass Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- Compass Math: Graph Symmetry
- Compass Math: Polar Coordinates & Parameterization