About This Chapter
Compass Math: Rational Functions - Chapter Summary
Take time to explore the video lessons in this chapter on rational functions as you get ready to take the Compass Math test. The videos are designed to refresh your knowledge on this subject so you'll be prepared to answer questions that address the following on the exam:
- Working with inequalities that include rational functions
- The process of graphing a rational function
- Finding a slant asymptote
- Analyzing expressions of rational functions
- Understanding the geometric interpretation of difference quotient
Instructors offer step-by-step guidance to help you use the methods necessary to competently answer questions on the test. The video lessons are comprehensive, yet entertaining, making the learning process fun.
Compass Math: Rational Functions Chapter Objectives
The Compass Math test is designed to help postsecondary institutions evaluate the math skill levels of their incoming students. You can use the lessons in this Compass Math: Rational Functions chapter to meet the goals of this test, which include evaluating students' ability to perform a sequence of basic operations and apply sequences of basic operations to novel settings. The self-assessment quizzes in this chapter can help you gauge how well you understand the mathematical concepts and give you access to questions formatted similarly to those found on the test.
All of the questions on the test are multiple-choice and typically take the form of questions, sentences or short paragraphs. Some questions may also ask you to analyze a diagram, graph or illustration. Following each question are five answers, one of which you will be asked to choose as the correct response.
1. Solving Equations & Inequalities Involving Rational Functions
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to solve both equations and inequalities that involve rational functions. Learn the steps involved in solving them as well as what to watch out for.
2. Graphing & Analyzing Rational Functions
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to graph a rational function by analyzing its horizontal and vertical asymptotes. Learn to find how the graph behaves around the asymptotes.
3. Finding Slant Asymptotes of Rational Functions
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can find the slant asymptote to certain types of rational functions. Learn what you need to look for and how polynomial long division comes into play.
4. Expressions of Rational Functions
In this video lesson, you will learn how to write a rational function given just the horizontal and vertical asymptotes. Learn how to write the asymptotes and where to write them in your function.
5. The Geometric Interpretation of Difference Quotient
After watching this video lesson, you will understand how the difference quotient looks from a geometric standpoint. You will also see how the difference quotient is applied to a function.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ACT Compass Math Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- Compass Math: Integers
- Compass Math: Decimals
- Compass Math: Fractions
- Compass Math: Exponents
- Compass Math: Roots & Radicals
- Compass Math: Percents
- Compass Math: Ratios, Rates & Proportions
- Compass Math: Median, Mean & Mode
- Compass Math: Algebraic Equations & Expressions
- Compass Math: Linear Equations
- Compass Math: Substituting Values
- Compass Math: Monomials & Polynomials
- Compass Math: Factoring Polynomials
- Compass Math: Matrices & Absolute Value
- Compass Math: Inequalities
- Compass Math: Complex Numbers
- Compass Math: Logarithms
- Compass Math: Basic Geometry
- Compass Math: Lines & Angles
- Compass Math: Polygons
- Compass Math: Triangles
- Compass Math: Quadrilaterals
- Compass Math: Circles
- Compass Math: Similar Figures
- Compass Math: Complex Figures
- Compass Math: Constructions
- Compass Math: Area, Circumference & Perimeter
- Compass Math: Mathematical Modeling
- Compass Math: Quadratics
- Compass Math: Quadratic Functions
- Compass Math: Trigonometric Functions
- Compass Math: Function Operations
- Compass Math: Trigonometric Identities
- Compass Math: Trigonometric Equations
- Compass Math: Trigonometric Applications
- Compass Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- Compass Math: Graph Symmetry
- Compass Math: Polar Coordinates & Parameterization