About This Chapter
Compass Math: Similar Figures - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter will help prepare you for the Compass Math exam by reviewing similar figures and their properties. Our instructors will guide you through the following methods to help you study for the test:
- Identifying similar shapes, including polygons and triangles
- Applying these similar shapes in comparative context
- Constructing similar shapes proportionately
Video lessons efficiently address important steps as well as a variety of study strategies. Being armed with different approaches can make identifying similar figures simpler, and our instructors make learning these methods fun.
Compass Math: Similar Figures Chapter Objectives
The Compass Math exams are comprehensive exams provided by ACT consisting of placement tests and a diagnostic assessment in five unique mathematic subject areas. Our lessons will help you study for the levels of mathematical knowledge that the Compass test will evaluate you on in accordance with college math course entrance standards. This chapter prepares you for questions on the Geometry test.
Compass tests are untimed, computer-administrated multiple-choice assessments designed to evaluate your skills. Our accompanying lesson and chapter assessments are meant to demonstrate the types of questions you will see on exam day.
1. Similar Polygons: Definition and Examples
Watch this video to learn what makes two polygons similar to each other. You'll also learn the one distinguishing aspect of similar polygons and see an example of how to compare two polygons.
2. Constructing Similar Polygons
This lesson will teach you how to construct similar polygons, which are very useful in many quantitative fields. You'll learn that all of this has something to do with, of all things, snowflakes!
3. How to Identify Similar Triangles
Similar triangles have the same characteristics as similar figures but can be identified much more easily. Learn the shortcuts for identifying similar triangles here and test your ability with a quiz.
4. Applications of Similar Triangles
Similar triangles are used to solve problems in everyday situations. Learn how to solve with similar triangles here, and then test your understanding with a quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ACT Compass Math Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- Compass Math: Integers
- Compass Math: Decimals
- Compass Math: Fractions
- Compass Math: Exponents
- Compass Math: Roots & Radicals
- Compass Math: Percents
- Compass Math: Ratios, Rates & Proportions
- Compass Math: Median, Mean & Mode
- Compass Math: Algebraic Equations & Expressions
- Compass Math: Linear Equations
- Compass Math: Substituting Values
- Compass Math: Monomials & Polynomials
- Compass Math: Factoring Polynomials
- Compass Math: Matrices & Absolute Value
- Compass Math: Inequalities
- Compass Math: Complex Numbers
- Compass Math: Logarithms
- Compass Math: Basic Geometry
- Compass Math: Lines & Angles
- Compass Math: Polygons
- Compass Math: Triangles
- Compass Math: Quadrilaterals
- Compass Math: Circles
- Compass Math: Complex Figures
- Compass Math: Constructions
- Compass Math: Area, Circumference & Perimeter
- Compass Math: Mathematical Modeling
- Compass Math: Quadratics
- Compass Math: Quadratic Functions
- Compass Math: Trigonometric Functions
- Compass Math: Rational Functions
- Compass Math: Function Operations
- Compass Math: Trigonometric Identities
- Compass Math: Trigonometric Equations
- Compass Math: Trigonometric Applications
- Compass Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- Compass Math: Graph Symmetry
- Compass Math: Polar Coordinates & Parameterization