About This Chapter
Compass Math: Trigonometric Applications - Chapter Summary
The lessons for this chapter will review a variety of different applications of trigonometric identities and functions in order to prepare you for the Compass Math exam. Our instructors will guide you through the following values in order to help you study for the test:
- Utilizing the law of cosines to solve oblique triangles
- Using the law of cosines to solve real world example problems
- Applying the law of sines to solve other triangles
- Understanding how to apply the law of sines to real world problems
- Understanding proofs as well as addition and subtraction formulas
The tagged timelines on our video lessons can help you review the core functions and the best study strategies to understand them in order to improve your existing trigonometric knowledge. See how our instructors make reviewing these methods fun! Being armed with different approaches can make it simpler to apply these functions.
Compass Math: Trigonometric Applications Chapter Objectives
The Compass Math exams are untimed, computerized assessments provided by ACT. They consist of placement tests in five unique mathematic subject areas. This chapter addresses the skills you will need in order to excel on the Trigonometry test. The exam also includes Pre-algebra, Algebra and college-level Algebra and Trigonometry tests that Compass uses to assess students' readiness for related mathematical courses.
1. Solving Oblique Triangles Using the Law of Cosines
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to use the law of cosines to help you find a missing side or missing angle of any kind of triangle. Also, you will see what oblique triangles are.
2. Solving Real World Problems Using the Law of Cosines
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to use the law of cosines to solve real-world problems. Learn what kinds of real-world problems the law of cosines can help you solve.
3. Using the Law of Sines to Solve a Triangle
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to use the law of sines to find a missing side of a triangle as well as a missing angle of a triangle. Learn what you need to know about the triangle in order to use the formula.
4. Solving Real World Problems Using the Law of Sines
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to use the law of sines to solve problems that you will encounter in the real world. Learn what kind of shape you need in order to solve your real world problems.
5. Proving the Addition & Subtraction Formulas for Sine, Cosine & Tangent
Watch this video lesson, and you will see how the angle sum and difference identities are derived for sine, cosine, and tangent. You will also learn how you can use these identities to help you solve problems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ACT Compass Math Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- Compass Math: Integers
- Compass Math: Decimals
- Compass Math: Fractions
- Compass Math: Exponents
- Compass Math: Roots & Radicals
- Compass Math: Percents
- Compass Math: Ratios, Rates & Proportions
- Compass Math: Median, Mean & Mode
- Compass Math: Algebraic Equations & Expressions
- Compass Math: Linear Equations
- Compass Math: Substituting Values
- Compass Math: Monomials & Polynomials
- Compass Math: Factoring Polynomials
- Compass Math: Matrices & Absolute Value
- Compass Math: Inequalities
- Compass Math: Complex Numbers
- Compass Math: Logarithms
- Compass Math: Basic Geometry
- Compass Math: Lines & Angles
- Compass Math: Polygons
- Compass Math: Triangles
- Compass Math: Quadrilaterals
- Compass Math: Circles
- Compass Math: Similar Figures
- Compass Math: Complex Figures
- Compass Math: Constructions
- Compass Math: Area, Circumference & Perimeter
- Compass Math: Mathematical Modeling
- Compass Math: Quadratics
- Compass Math: Quadratic Functions
- Compass Math: Trigonometric Functions
- Compass Math: Rational Functions
- Compass Math: Function Operations
- Compass Math: Trigonometric Identities
- Compass Math: Trigonometric Equations
- Compass Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- Compass Math: Graph Symmetry
- Compass Math: Polar Coordinates & Parameterization