About This Chapter
Compass Math: Trigonometric Graphs - Chapter Summary
This chapter's lessons will help prepare you for the Compass Math exam by allowing you to review different graphical representations of trigonometric functions and equations. Our instructors will guide you through the following key modules to help you study for the test:
- Representing trigonometric functions and equations graphically, including: sine and cosine transformations, tangent functions, cosecants, secants and cotangent functions
- Understanding graphic data to determine trigonometric identities
- Solving trigonometric equations using graphic representations
These video lessons will efficiently address each graphic application as well as a variety of study strategies to help you. Being armed with different approaches can make it simpler to read and graph trigonometric functions, and our instructors make learning these methods fun.
Compass Math: Trigonometric Graphs Chapter Objectives
The Compass Math exams are untimed and computer-administered, and they feature multiple-choice questions. The comprehensive exams are provided by ACT and consist of placement tests and a diagnostic assessment in five unique mathematical subject areas. This chapter addresses the skills you will need in order to excel on the Trigonometry test. Our accompanying lesson and chapter assessments will demonstrate the types of questions you will complete during the Compass Math exam.
1. Graphing Sine and Cosine Transformations
What happens when we take the sine and cosine wave and transform them? They get bigger, smaller, faster and slower. Find out how in this lesson on sine and cosine wave transformations.
2. Graphing the Tangent Function: Amplitude, Period, Phase Shift & Vertical Shift
Take a look at how the graph of a tangent function and how we can transform it by making a few small changes to its equation. This video shows how to graph the original function and explains its transformations.
3. Graphing the Cosecant, Secant & Cotangent Functions
After watching this video lesson, you will learn what the graphs of the cosecant, secant, and cotangent trigonometric functions look like. You will also learn how to see if these graphs are shifted or transformed.
4. Using Graphs to Determine Trigonometric Identity
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to use graphs to determine whether an equation is a trigonometric identity or not. Learn what you need to look for to determine this.
5. Solving a Trigonometric Equation Graphically
How can you show someone that you have the right answer? This video lesson will show you how you can do this for a trigonometric equation. Learn what you need to watch for and how to get your answers.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ACT Compass Math Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- Compass Math: Integers
- Compass Math: Decimals
- Compass Math: Fractions
- Compass Math: Exponents
- Compass Math: Roots & Radicals
- Compass Math: Percents
- Compass Math: Ratios, Rates & Proportions
- Compass Math: Median, Mean & Mode
- Compass Math: Algebraic Equations & Expressions
- Compass Math: Linear Equations
- Compass Math: Substituting Values
- Compass Math: Monomials & Polynomials
- Compass Math: Factoring Polynomials
- Compass Math: Matrices & Absolute Value
- Compass Math: Inequalities
- Compass Math: Complex Numbers
- Compass Math: Logarithms
- Compass Math: Basic Geometry
- Compass Math: Lines & Angles
- Compass Math: Polygons
- Compass Math: Triangles
- Compass Math: Quadrilaterals
- Compass Math: Circles
- Compass Math: Similar Figures
- Compass Math: Complex Figures
- Compass Math: Constructions
- Compass Math: Area, Circumference & Perimeter
- Compass Math: Mathematical Modeling
- Compass Math: Quadratics
- Compass Math: Quadratic Functions
- Compass Math: Trigonometric Functions
- Compass Math: Rational Functions
- Compass Math: Function Operations
- Compass Math: Trigonometric Identities
- Compass Math: Trigonometric Equations
- Compass Math: Trigonometric Applications
- Compass Math: Graph Symmetry
- Compass Math: Polar Coordinates & Parameterization