About This Chapter
Compass Math: Trigonometric Identities - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter will review the basic trigonometric identities and functions in order to prepare you for the Compass Math exam. Our instructors will guide you through the following values in order to help you study for the test:
- Using alternate forms of the trigonometric identities
- Identifying the Pythagorean identities
- Understanding reciprocal identities
- Applying identities of angles, including double-angle Identities and half-angle identities
- Approaching product-to-sum identities and sum-to-product identities
- Verifying trigonometric equation identities
- Using sum and difference identities
- Proving trigonometric identities and deriving relevant applications
These video lessons can help you review the basic trig identities and present the best study strategies to fully understand them. Being armed with different approaches to reviewing and remembering the trig identities and their functions will make it easier to identify the ways in which to solve trigonometric equations.
Compass Math: Trigonometric Identities Chapter Objectives
The Compass Math exams are comprehensive assessments provided by ACT consisting of placement tests in five unique mathematic subject areas and a diagnostic assessment. This chapter addresses the skills you will need in order to excel on the Trigonometry test. These lessons will help you study concepts related to Pre-algebra, Algebra and college-level Algebra, Geometry and Trigonometry. The Compass test will assess your knowledge in these areas to ensure you meet college math course entrance standards. Our accompanying lesson and chapter assessments will demonstrate the types of questions you will see on exam day.
1. Trigonometric Identities: Definition & Uses
After watching this video lesson, you will understand what a trigonometric identity is. You will also know the different kinds of identities you will come across.
2. List of the Basic Trig Identities
There are specific trig functions that have very special and very simple relationships with each other. Learn the main one and how you can use it to understand the others.
3. Alternate Forms of Trigonometric Identities
After watching this video lesson, you will know some of the alternate forms of the basic trigonometric identities. You will also learn how to use these alternate forms.
4. Pythagorean Identities: Uses & Applications
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to spot the Pythagorean identities when you see them. You will also learn how these identities can help you solve more complicated trig problems.
5. Reciprocal Identities: Uses & Applications
Trigonometry is full of identities, a set of which are called the reciprocal identities. Watch this video lesson to learn what they are and how you can use them to help you solve problems.
6. Double-Angle Identities: Uses & Applications
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use the double-angle identities in trigonometry to help you prove and solve more complicated trigonometry problems.
7. Half-Angle Identities: Uses & Applications
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to use half-angle identities to help you simplify your trig problems and also to help you prove other trig statements.
8. Product-to-Sum Identities: Uses & Applications
After watching this video lesson, you will know what the four product-to-sum identities are. You will also know how they are used. You will also see two examples of problems.
9. Sum-to-Product Identities: Uses & Applications
In this video lesson, you will learn about the four sum-to-product identities for the sine and cosine functions. Learn how to go from the sum or subtraction of two functions to the product of two functions along with the two angles.
10. Verifying a Trigonometric Equation Identity
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use your basic definitions and identities to help you prove a trigonometric equation identity. Learn what is involved and what to do for a successful answer.
11. Applying the Sum & Difference Identities
Watch this video lesson to learn the six sum and difference identities for the trig functions of sine, cosine, and tangent. Also, learn how you can use them to your advantage when solving tough trig problems.
12. How to Prove & Derive Trigonometric Identities
After watching this video lesson, you will learn how some of our trigonometric identities are derived. You will also see how some identities naturally lead to the others.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ACT Compass Math Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- Compass Math: Integers
- Compass Math: Decimals
- Compass Math: Fractions
- Compass Math: Exponents
- Compass Math: Roots & Radicals
- Compass Math: Percents
- Compass Math: Ratios, Rates & Proportions
- Compass Math: Median, Mean & Mode
- Compass Math: Algebraic Equations & Expressions
- Compass Math: Linear Equations
- Compass Math: Substituting Values
- Compass Math: Monomials & Polynomials
- Compass Math: Factoring Polynomials
- Compass Math: Matrices & Absolute Value
- Compass Math: Inequalities
- Compass Math: Complex Numbers
- Compass Math: Logarithms
- Compass Math: Basic Geometry
- Compass Math: Lines & Angles
- Compass Math: Polygons
- Compass Math: Triangles
- Compass Math: Quadrilaterals
- Compass Math: Circles
- Compass Math: Similar Figures
- Compass Math: Complex Figures
- Compass Math: Constructions
- Compass Math: Area, Circumference & Perimeter
- Compass Math: Mathematical Modeling
- Compass Math: Quadratics
- Compass Math: Quadratic Functions
- Compass Math: Trigonometric Functions
- Compass Math: Rational Functions
- Compass Math: Function Operations
- Compass Math: Trigonometric Equations
- Compass Math: Trigonometric Applications
- Compass Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- Compass Math: Graph Symmetry
- Compass Math: Polar Coordinates & Parameterization