About This Chapter
Compass Reading Test: Practice - Chapter Summary
Get acquainted with the different reading passages used on the exam along with examples of the corresponding questions. Learning about the different passages in videos will reinforce what you read and learn in the lessons. This chapter includes the following:
- Prose fiction questions
- Social studies passages
- Practice with the natural science passages
- Humanities passage questions
- Practical reading passage practice
- The three-step process to answering questions
The video tags allow you to easily jump between various video portions during your studying. Take the lessons' quizzes to assess your familiarity with the practice material covered.
Compass Reading Test: Practice Chapter Objectives
The ACT Compass Reading exam helps educators to place students in the right courses according to their determined reading skill. This chapter introduces all the types of passages that you'll come across as you're taking the test. The questions on the exam that address the five reading passage types are multiple-choice ones.
1. Compass Reading: Practice with Practical Reading
In this lesson, we'll explore the reading portion of the ACT Compass placement test. First administered in 1983, the test examines a student's ability to read practically.
2. ACT Reading: Practice with Prose Fiction
Don't be afraid of prose fiction passages on the ACT: they aren't any more difficult than any of the other types! Watch this lesson to get some practice answering questions on them.
3. ACT Reading: Practice with Social Studies
Are you ready for the Social Studies reading passages on the ACT? They're tricky enough that you probably don't want to wing it. Here are some practice questions to help you get there.
4. ACT Reading: Practice with Humanities
'Humanities' is such a vague name: learn what you'll be getting on this part of the ACT reading test and get some practice tackling it. We'll walk you through three practice questions with explanations.
5. ACT Reading: Practice with Natural Science
You don't have to know anything about science to ace the natural sciences reading passages on the ACT - in this lesson, you'll walk through three practice questions with explanations to see how it's done.
Earning College Credit
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Other chapters within the ACT Compass Reading Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- About the Compass Test
- Overview of the Compass Reading Test
- Compass Reading Test: Types of Questions on the Exam
- Compass Reading Test: Understanding Reading Passages
- Compass Reading Test: Practical Reading Interpretation & Analysis
- Compass Reading Test: Prose Fiction Analysis
- Compass Reading Test: Literary Terms