About This Chapter
Compass Writing Test: Verbs, Adjectives & Adverbs - Chapter Summary
Each of the lessons within this chapter is led by a professional instructor, who will guide you through the definitions and usages of verbs, adjectives, and adverbs. The principles you learn here will help prepare you for skills you'll need in order to pass the Compass Writing Essay Test, including:
- Defining and identifying action, linking, and auxiliary verbs
- Recognizing verb forms, including participles and infinitives
- Comparing adjectives and adverbs
- Identifying examples of adjectives and adverbs
Learning about these different parts of speech will make it easier for you to write well-developed essays. Each lesson focuses on one concept so that you can go at your own speed to prepare for the Compass Writing Essay Test.
Objectives of the Compass Writing Test: Verbs, Adjectives & Adverbs Chapter
The Compass Writing Essay Test measures your ability to write focused, well-developed essays in order to place you in the appropriate college English courses. The lessons throughout this chapter will prepare you for the exam by enhancing your understanding of how to write well with verbs, adjectives, and adverbs. You can also use the quizzes provided to assess your writing skills and get a glimpse of the kinds of concepts you'll need to know for the test.
On the test, you'll be asked to complete an essay based on a writing prompt that's been provided. In order to compose a well-written essay and score well on the exam, you'll need to have a firm understanding of how to properly use verbs, adjectives, and adverbs.
1. What is a Verb? - Definition & Conjugation
In this lesson, you'll learn what a verb is and how to conjugate verbs correctly to make your writing more interesting. Take a look at some examples to help you understand verb conjugation.
2. Action, Linking and Auxiliary Verbs: Definitions, Functions & Examples
A verb is a word that is used to describe action or occurrence. Explore the definitions and functions of the three types of verbs (action, linking, and auxiliary) through examples.
3. Verb Forms: Participles & Infinitives
Different verb forms are used in sentences to express actions occurring in the past, present, or future. Learn about three special verb forms (infinitives, present participles, and past participles), and know how to use them in sentences.
4. Adjectives: Definition, Examples & List
An adjective is an indispensable part of speech that describes nouns and pronouns. Explore how adjectives affect a sentence, and how they are used to convey a particular meaning.
5. What are Adverbs? - Definition & Examples
Adverbs modify or describe verbs, adjectives, or other adverbs. Explore the definition of an adverb, study examples of adverbs, and learn how adverbs are used in sentences.
6. Comparison of Adjectives & Adverbs: Examples, Sentences & Exercises
Generally speaking, adjectives are words that describe nouns, and adverbs are words that describe verbs, adjectives, or other adverbs. Dive deeper into examples of adjectives and adverbs, comparatives and superlatives, rules for using them in sentences, and exercises and examples of their respective uses.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the ACT Compass Writing Essay Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- Compass Writing Test: Punctuation
- Compass Writing Test: Spelling & Capitalization
- Compass Writing Test: Nouns
- Compass Writing Test: Pronouns & Antecedents
- Compass Writing Test: Modifiers & Clauses
- Compass Writing Test: Errors in Grammar Usage
- Compass Writing Test: Sentence Type
- Compass Writing Test: Sentence Structure
- Compass Writing Test: Organizing Your Writing
- Compass Writing Test: Writing Strategy
- Compass Writing Test: Writing Style
- Compass Writing Test: Rhetorical Devices
- Compass Writing Test: Using Source Materials