About This Chapter
Compass Writing Test: Verbs, Adjectives & Adverbs - Chapter Summary
Each of the lessons within this chapter is led by a professional instructor, who will guide you through the definitions and usages of verbs, adjectives, and adverbs. The principles you learn here will help prepare you for skills you'll need in order to pass the Compass Writing Essay Test, including:
- Defining and identifying action, linking, and auxiliary verbs
- Recognizing verb forms, including participles and infinitives
- Comparing adjectives and adverbs
- Identifying examples of adjectives and adverbs
Learning about these different parts of speech will make it easier for you to write well-developed essays. Each lesson focuses on one concept so that you can go at your own speed to prepare for the Compass Writing Essay Test.
Objectives of the Compass Writing Test: Verbs, Adjectives & Adverbs Chapter
The Compass Writing Essay Test measures your ability to write focused, well-developed essays in order to place you in the appropriate college English courses. The lessons throughout this chapter will prepare you for the exam by enhancing your understanding of how to write well with verbs, adjectives, and adverbs. You can also use the quizzes provided to assess your writing skills and get a glimpse of the kinds of concepts you'll need to know for the test.
On the test, you'll be asked to complete an essay based on a writing prompt that's been provided. In order to compose a well-written essay and score well on the exam, you'll need to have a firm understanding of how to properly use verbs, adjectives, and adverbs.
1. What is a Verb? - Definition & Conjugation
In this lesson, you'll learn what a verb is and how to conjugate verbs correctly to make your writing more interesting. Take a look at some examples to help you understand verb conjugation.
2. Action, Linking and Auxiliary Verbs: Definitions, Functions & Examples
Do you think that a verb is just a verb? Check out this lesson to learn about the differences among action verbs, linking verbs, and auxiliary/helping verbs.
3. Verb Forms: Participles & Infinitives
Using verbs correctly involves knowing more than just how to express action in a sentence. This lesson will show you a few special types of verb forms - infinitives, present participles, and past participles - as well as how to use them.
4. What are Adjectives? - Definition & Examples
Adjectives are what give detail and engage the senses in our writing. This lesson defines and illustrates adjectives and descriptive detail in writing and speaking. Nouns and verbs are briefly reviewed.
5. What are Adverbs? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn what adverbs are and how they can be used to make your writing more interesting. You'll also take a look at some examples of adverbs and how they work in sentences.
6. Comparison of Adjectives & Adverbs: Examples, Sentences & Exercises
Adjectives and adverbs are descriptive words that allow our sentences to be much more specific and interesting than they would be without them. This lesson covers the rules for using adjectives and adverbs correctly, including those used in comparisons.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ACT Compass Writing Essay Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- Compass Writing Test: Punctuation
- Compass Writing Test: Spelling & Capitalization
- Compass Writing Test: Nouns
- Compass Writing Test: Pronouns & Antecedents
- Compass Writing Test: Modifiers & Clauses
- Compass Writing Test: Errors in Grammar Usage
- Compass Writing Test: Sentence Type
- Compass Writing Test: Sentence Structure
- Compass Writing Test: Organizing Your Writing
- Compass Writing Test: Writing Strategy
- Compass Writing Test: Writing Style
- Compass Writing Test: Rhetorical Devices
- Compass Writing Test: Using Source Materials