About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Complex Numbers chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Imaginary numbers||Quadratic formulas, number substitution, using imaginary numbers to work-around unknown variables, real numbers, discriminant, the symbol i, exponents, detecting patterns, and inverse operations|
|Tuesday||Complex numbers||Combination of imaginary numbers and real numbers, and using complex number equations to determine possible solutions|
|Wednesday||Complex number calculations: Part I||Formulas for adding and/or subtracting complex numbers, combining like terms, distributive properties, multiplying complex numbers, order of operations, and F.O.I.L.|
|Thursday||Complex number calculations: Part II||Conjugate, complex conjugate, multiplying conjugates, dividing complex numbers, finding common denominators, and combining like terms|
|Friday||Graphing||Unrelated numbers, y-axis, x-axis, real axis, and imaginary axis|
1. What is an Imaginary Number?
The imaginary number 'i' is the square root of -1. Although this number doesn't actually exist, pretending that it does allows us to do a bunch of crazy math that scientists use every day. Learn the basics of that number 'i' here!
2. How to Add, Subtract and Multiply Complex Numbers
Knowing that complex numbers exist is the first step. But that knowledge alone won't help you do much with them. Learn the basics of complex number addition, subtraction and multiplication here!
3. How to Divide Complex Numbers
While adding, subtracting and multiplying complex numbers is pretty straightforward, dividing them can be pretty tricky. It comes down to the process of multiplying by the complex conjugate. Learn about what that is, and how to do it, here.
4. How to Graph a Complex Number on the Complex Plane
Graphing complex numbers is pretty straight forward, but it's not necessarily intuitive. Check out this lesson to learn the vocabulary and the conventions that you'll need.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Precalculus Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Linear Equations: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Inequalities: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Absolute Value Equations: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Systems of Linear Equations: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Mathematical Modeling: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Solving Quadratics: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Quadratic Functions: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Geometry Basics for Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Functions: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Function Operations: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Graph Symmetry: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Graphing with Functions: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Rate of Change: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Polynomial Functions: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Advanced Polynomial Functions: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Rational Functions & Difference Quotients: Lesson Plans
- Rational Expressions & Function Graphs: Lesson Plans
- Exponential & Logarithmic Functions: Lesson Plans
- Trigonometric Functions: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Trigonometric Graphs: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Solving Trigonometric Equations: Lesson Plans
- Trigonometric Identities: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Trigonometric Applications: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Graphing Piecewise Functions: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Vectors, Matrices & Determinants: Lesson Plans
- Mathematical Sequences & Series: Lesson Plans
- Sets in Algebra: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Analytic Geometry & Conic Sections: Lesson Plans
- Polar Coordinates & Parameterizations: Lesson Plans
- Continuity: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Limits: Precalculus Lesson Plans