About This Chapter
Components of Wireless Networking - Chapter Summary
Gain a quality understanding of the components of wireless networking using the bite-sized lessons in this chapter. Each lesson covers a different topic, enabling you to easily comprehend WLAN protocols, wide-area wireless communication and more. Accompanying the lessons are multiple-choice quizzes you can take to find out how well you understand key concepts. Our broader exam makes it easy to confirm your knowledge of the entire chapter. Enjoy 24/7 mobile access to these and other study tools along with the ability to track your progress via the Dashboard. After completing this chapter, you will have the knowledge to:
- Discuss the applications of and differences between wireless network modes
- Differentiate between communication and wireless computing devices
- Define and describe short-range and medium-range wireless communication
- Compare and contrast different types of wide-area wireless communication
- List types and characteristics of WLAN protocols
1. Wireless Network Modes: Applications & Differences
Wired connectivity isn't the only way to go, as new connections often do without. In this lesson, we'll take a look at wireless networks, their uses, and some differences.
2. Communication & Wireless Computing Devices: GPS, PDA, Cellular & Satellite
A large number of different devices use wireless communications networks. Learn about the different types of devices and which communication signals they use.
3. Short-Range Wireless Communication: Bluetooth, ZigBee & Infrared Transmission
Short-range wireless communication uses signals that travel from a few centimeters to several meters. Learn about some of the most widely used types of short-range wireless technologies.
4. Medium-Range Wireless Communication: Wi-Fi & Hotspots
WiFi is the most widely used medium-range wireless communication technology. Learn how WiFi standards and access points are used to create hotspots for Internet access.
5. Wide-Area Wireless Communication: Microwave, Satellite, 3G, 4G & WiMAX
Wide-area wireless communication travels large distances, from several kilometers to thousands of kilometers. Learn how much of the world's communication uses microwaves in cellular networks, WiMAX and satellite communications.
6. WLAN Protocols: Types & Characteristics
In this lesson we will examine the different types of WLAN protocols. We will see how each protocol evolved in development over time from the first created standard. We will also understand their different characteristics and highlight their pros and cons.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Computer Science 220: Fundamentals of Routing and Switching course