About This Chapter
Comprehensive School Counseling Programs - Chapter Summary
Part of this chapter will discuss challenges faced by students in elementary school, such as bullying and low social functioning. You'll also have an increased awareness of the prevalent problems that develop later on with students in middle and high school, including those that involve romantic relationship issues and defying authority. You will additionally get to refresh your memory on:
- The focus areas of a comprehensive school counseling program
- Different strategies used in elementary school counseling
- Types of interventions utilized by middle and high school counselors
This chapter's video lessons thoroughly cover their targeted topics in approximately 5 minutes apiece. The user-friendly video tags will get you back to a certain video segment in no time for more review. The quizzes that go with each lesson let you show your command of the material.
1. Elements of a Comprehensive School Counseling Program
This lesson will discuss the essential elements of a comprehensive school counseling program. The lesson will end with a brief quiz to test what you have learned.
2. Counseling in Elementary Schools
Ever wonder what an elementary school counselor does? In this lesson, we will look into counseling at an elementary school, including types of counseling and strategies used in the process.
3. Common Issues with Elementary School Children
While childhood is meant to be a happy time, there are many children for whom it is a time of emotional difficulty. This lesson looks into some challenges that are common to elementary-aged children.
4. Counseling in Middle/Secondary Schools
How do middle and high school counselors guide their students? In this lesson, we're going to look into the different formats they use and how these benefit their students.
5. Common Issues with Middle/Secondary School Children
You may have had a tough time during your middle or high school years; during that time, it's common for teens to go through various emotional challenges. Here, we will look into several issues that are commonly faced during this time.
6. Testing and Assessment in Counseling: Types & Uses
Why do counselors test their clients? What kind of assessments are out there? This lesson looks into these and other issues of testing and assessment.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE School Counseling (603): Practice & Study Guide course
- Educational & Counseling Foundations
- Roles & Responsibilities of the Guidance Counselor
- Counseling Theories & Models
- Individual & Group Counseling
- Human Development Topics
- Human Development Issues
- Crisis Intervention Purpose & Theories
- Curriculum Development & Delivery
- Learning Assessments
- Diversity & Equality Issues in School Counseling
- Strategies for Diverse Learning Environments
- College Counseling Tools
- Career Counseling Tools
- Program Evaluation for School Counselors
- GACE School Counseling Flashcards