About This Chapter
Computation with Integers - Chapter Summary
Expand your students' knowledge of computation with integers with help from the expert instructors in these fun lessons. Whether you want to share definitions for various types of integers or help them grasp how to perform mathematical operations on integers, this chapter can help. Once students have completed the lessons, they will be able to:
- Define an integer
- Share the meaning of a positive and negative integer
- Use the formula for consecutive integers
- Add and subtract integers
- Multiply and divide integers
Feel free to select the lessons you want students to to review based on their existing knowledge of integers. Navigate the lessons in any order, and visit them as often as needed. Find out how much your students understand about computation with integers by taking this chapter's mini quizzes and practice exam.
1. What are Integers? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we will learn about integers - what they are and what distinguishes them from other types of numbers. We'll also take a look at a few examples of things that can or cannot be measured with integers.
2. What is a Positive Integer? - Definition & Examples
We use positive integers in our everyday lives. We see them everywhere in the world around us. Learn what positive integers are and what you can do with them.
3. Consecutive Integers: Definition & Formula
This lesson defines consecutive integers and gives fun examples of consecutive numbers in use. You will also learn the formulas used to compute consecutive integers.
4. Adding Integers: Rules & Examples
In this lesson, we will learn about adding integers or signed numbers. Using the number line and idea of absolute value, we will see that the rules used to add them are simply an extension of the rules of basic arithmetic.
5. Subtracting Integers: Rules & Examples
In this lesson, we will cover definitions, rules, and examples for subtracting integers. We'll also provide some helpful tips for dealing with tricky math problems.
6. Multiplying Integers: Rules & Examples
In this lesson, we will discuss what numbers are included in the integers and how to multiply them. We will deal with 1-, 2-, and 3-digit numbers as well as negatives and positives. There are some definitions included as well as a quiz at the end.
7. Dividing Integers: Rules & Terminology
In this lesson, we will learn how to divide integers or signed numbers. Determining the correct sign of the answer is a very simple but important step in these calculations. We will also learn the role of zero in division of integers.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Accuplacer Math: Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics Placement Test Study Guide course
- Negative Numbers
- Absolute Value
- Solving & Graphing Rational Numbers
- Proportions, Ratios & Averages
- Simplifying Algebraic Fractions
- Rational Roots
- Working with Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- Solving & Graphing Linear Equations
- Overview of Inequalities
- Systems of Equations & Inequalities
- Algebraic Word Problems
- Fundamental Algebraic Expressions
- Algebraic Distribution
- Writing Algebraic Expressions
- Writing & Solving One-Step Equations
- Writing & Solving Multi-Step Equations
- Probability, Chance & Fundamental Counting Techniques
- Interpreting Visual Displays of Data
- Basic Geometry Calculations
- Pythagorean Theorem
- Coordinate & Transformational Geometry
- Accuplacer Math: Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics Placement Test Flashcards