About This Chapter
Computer Programming Fundamentals - Chapter Summary
If you're looking for an overview of computer programming fundamentals, you're in the right place. This convenient online chapter offers engaging video lessons about programming languages, the elements of programming, the process of writing programs and much more. Our lessons come with short quizzes to help you remember the information you study, and our instructors are happy to answer any questions you may have. The chapter is also available whenever you have free time. Upon completion of the chapter, you should be able to:
- Explain fundamental programming concepts
- Compare common programming language, including C++, Java and Python
- Break down the five basic elements of programming
- Explain how to code, test and debug a program
1. What Is Programming? - Definition & Introduction for Beginning Programmers
This lesson will give a quick but thorough overview of what programming is, what we need to know to program, and the contents of our programming toolbox.
2. Programming Languages: C++, Java, Python and Others
There are hundreds of different programming languages, but only a few of them are really popular. Learn about some of the most widely used programming languages and what they are being used for in this video lesson.
Web design is the creation and visual design of documents displayed on the World Wide Web. It is important to create engaging and visually appealing websites to attract and retain customers. Many factors must be considered when designing a website. This video will explore the steps in Web design and the programming languages needed to create a dynamic and interactive website.
4. 5 Basic Elements Of Programming
There are five basic programming elements, or operations: input, output, arithmetic, conditional, and looping. Every program uses at least two of these. This lesson will describe each one to you and show you examples in simple code.
5. How to Write a Program: Coding, Testing & Debugging
Programmers use an integrated development environment for formatting code, checking syntax, and testing programs. Learn about some of the specific tools used by programmers, such as syntax highlighting, autocompletion, and debugging.
6. Raspberry Pi Project Ideas
Raspberry Pi is a simple, but effective, single-board computer. These project ideas will let your students experiment with the possibilities of programming and design.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Computer Science 103: Computer Concepts & Applications course
- Basic Computer Concepts
- Computer Hardware Components & Functions
- Application & System Software
- Operating Systems for Computers
- Telecommunications Systems
- Understanding Computer Files
- Troubleshooting Computer Issues
- Web Browsers & Technology
- Using Microsoft Word
- Using Microsoft Excel
- Using Microsoft PowerPoint
- Database Fundamentals
- Systems Development & Analysis
- Computer Threats & Security
- Technology's Ethical, Legal & Privacy Issues