About This Chapter
Computer Science Application Software - Chapter Summary
This chapter offers an entertaining exploration of computer science application software like Microsoft Office, PowerPoint, Lotus 1-2-3 and Excel. Study the purpose of these types of software, and examine how they are used to accomplish specific goals. After completing the lessons, you will be able to:
- Compare and contrast Microsoft Office and Open Office
- Describe application software for workgroup, enterprise and personal objectives
- List and discuss desktop publishing and word processing software
- Provide details about Illustrator, PowerPoint and other presentation software and graphic suites
- Identify and describe different types of database and spreadsheet software
- Define FTP, chat and other types of communication software
- Discuss educational, real estate, legal, finance and architectural personal application software
- Exhibit knowledge of workgroup application software for business teams
Watch the lessons in this chapter as short videos, or access them as full transcripts you can print or read online. Both formats offer a fun and engaging look at computer science application software. At any time, find out how much you understand about the lessons you review by taking mini quizzes. Our practice exam can gauge your comprehension of the entire chapter.
1. Microsoft Office and Open Office: Office Suite Applications
Office suite software is a collection of commonly used applications. It typically includes word processing, spreadsheet, presentation and database software. Learn how these applications work together to increase productivity in this video lesson.
2. Application Software for Personal, Enterprise & Workgroup Objectives
Application software is a computer program to carry out a specific task. Learn about the different types of applications at the individual, workgroup and enterprise level.
3. Desktop Publishing & Word Processing Software: MS Word, InDesign & WordPerfect
Word processing software is used to create and manipulate the text in a document. More sophisticated design can be accomplished using desktop publishing software, as we'll learn in this lesson.
4. Presentation Software & Graphic Suites: Purpose & Examples
To make an impact on your audience, you not only need a strong message, you also need strong visuals. Learn how presentation and illustration software helps you make an impact when showing your work.
5. Database and Spreadsheet Software: Excel, Access, dBase & Lotus 1-2-3
Spreadsheet software and database software are both used to organize and manipulate data. Each application has its own unique strengths. Learn about the functionality of both types of software.
6. Communication Software: Purpose & Examples
You use communication software every day, from E-mail to texting. In this lesson, we'll review the purpose of communication software and provide examples of its use in modern systems.
7. Personal Application Software: Educational, Real Estate, Legal, Finance & Architectural
Specialized software applications have been developed for different areas. Learn about the software being used by educators, real estate agents, lawyers, accountants and architects.
8. Workgroup Application Software for Business Teams
Many activities in organizations are carried out by workgroups. Learn about specialized workgroup software that makes it easier for members to communicate and collaborate more effectively in this video lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Computer Science (050): Practice & Study Guide course
- History & Social Impacts of Computing
- Hardware & Systems Technology
- Computer Science Systems Software
- Computer Science & The Internet
- Basics of Network Systems Technology
- Telecommunications & Information Access Resources
- Computer Science Technology in the Classroom
- Computer Science Multimedia Resources
- Data, Storage & Algorithms
- Basics of Computer Programming
- Programming Design, Verification & Language
- Instructional Resources for Computer Science Teachers
- MTTC Computer Science Flashcards