About This Chapter
Computer Science Overview for Young Learners - Chapter Summary
These short lessons and other study aids will help you discover how to introduce children to computer programming. You will become familiar with things like:
- How to introduce programming to beginning programmers
- Tips for teaching programming to kids
- Strategies for teaching computer science to beginners
Our subject-matter experts use short text and video lessons in this overview for teaching computer science. Each has a quiz at lesson's end to check your understanding of the subject matter. You can submit specific questions to the instructor, and a final exam will confirm your knowledge of key course material.
How It Helps
- Equips you with the basics: You will be able to explain to a young learner what programming is.
- Teaches some programming tricks: You can see techniques others have found successful.
- Gives kids get a jump start: You can help students become familiar with computer science at an early age.
By the end of this chapter, you will be able to:
- Define and introduce computer technology in terms your young learners can understand
- Make programming and computer science seem simple and fun
- Apply current strategies for teaching computer science
1. What Is Programming? - Definition & Introduction for Beginning Programmers
This lesson will give a quick but thorough overview of what programming is, what we need to know to program, and the contents of our programming toolbox.
2. Computer Programming for Kids: Teaching Tips
You don't have to have ambitions to be the next Steve Jobs learn computer programming. In fact, it's so simple, even kids can learn. Read on for some tips on teaching kids to program.
3. Teaching Computer Science: Strategies & Tips
We've all heard the words computer science, but do we really know what teaching it means? This lesson will bring you up to date on current strategies for teaching computer science and offer some tips of the trade.
4. Floating Point Numbers Lesson Plan
Use this lesson plan to introduce students to floating point numbers in Java. Students will read a text lesson, discuss Java programming, and practice writing code.
5. Java: Floating Point Numbers
In Java, floating point numbers are numbers that have a decimal part to them. Java has two basic floating point data types - float and double. In this lesson, we'll learn what they are and how to use them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Strategies for Teaching with Technology course
- Technology & the 21st Century Classroom
- Using Technology to Improve Teaching & Learning
- Software Resources for Students in the Classroom
- Educational Technology for All Learners
- Using Educational Technology in the Classroom
- Technology & Early Childhood Education
- Educational Technology for Specific Subjects
- Trends in Educational Technology