About This Chapter
Concepts & Relationships Between Energy & Matter - Chapter Summary
Jump right into your studies with this chapter of lessons that covers the relationships between energy and matter. Review the law of conservation of energy and the definition and types of energy transformation. Get information about types of mechanisms of heat transfer, like radiation, and the list continues. This chapter also covers the following:
- The first law of thermodynamics
- Definition of the law of conservation of matter
- Relationship of kinetic and potential energy at different phases
- Physical properties and types of phase changes of matter
- The kinetic molecular theory
- Chemical changes vs. physical changes to matter
- Properties of solids, gasses, and liquids
- Conversion from Celsius to Fahrenheit and vice versa
- Conversion between Kelvins and Celsius
- Types of mechanisms of heat transfer, like radiation
At the conclusion of each lesson, there are short quizzes you can take to measure your knowledge. Work at your own pace through the chapter. Our expert instructors are happy to answer any questions you have about either the lessons or quizzes.
1. First Law of Thermodynamics: Law of Conservation of Energy
This video describes the first law of thermodynamics. Several examples of the application of this law are discussed. The significance of the law and its practical application are discussed as well.
2. Law of Conservation of Matter: Definition & Matter
In this lesson, we'll learn the definition of the Law of Conservation of Mass, sometimes called the Conservation of Matter. This lesson explores the discovery of this important principle and covers a few examples of how it works.
3. Kinetic Energy to Potential Energy: Relationship in Different Energy Types
This video defines and describes kinetic and potential energy. You'll learn how different types of energy can be classified as potential and kinetic. You'll also find out how kinetic and potential energy are transformed.
4. Energy Transformation: Definition, Types & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn about the different kinds of energy and how these types of energy can be transformed from one form to another. You will also learn about some uses of these energy transformations in everyday life.
5. Matter: Physical and Chemical Properties
How are substances identified? There are two major ways we can describe a substance: physical properties and chemical properties. Learn about how chemists use properties to classify matter as either a mixture or a pure substance.
6. States of Matter and Chemical Versus Physical Changes to Matter
The world around us is constantly changing. Chemists put those changes into two main categories: physical changes and chemical changes. This lesson will define and provide examples of each.
7. Phase Changes of Matter: Types & Examples
We are surrounded by matter. In this lesson, you will learn about phase changes of matter, and the types of phase changes that occur so you can recognize them in the future.
8. The Kinetic Molecular Theory: Properties of Solids and Liquids
This lesson explores the kinetic molecular theory and how it pertains to the properties of solids and liquids. You'll learn the properties of solids and liquids, discover the types of intermolecular attractions that occur between them and gain an understanding how phase changes happen.
9. The Kinetic Molecular Theory: Properties of Gases
What makes a gas ideal? What types of characteristics do ideal gases have? In this lesson, we will discuss the many characteristics of gases and how knowing the microscopic properties of gas particles will help you understand the macroscopic properties of a gas.
10. Converting Celsius to Fahrenheit and Back
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can switch between Fahrenheit and Celsius measurements of temperature. This will help when you visit the doctor and when you travel to different countries.
11. Temperature Units: Converting Between Kelvin and Celsius
Have you ever wondered what the lowest possible temperature is? In this lesson, you will learn what temperature measures. You will also be introduced to the Kelvin scale (an absolute scale) and learn how it relates to the Celsius scale.
12. Mechanisms of Heat Transfer: Conduction, Convection & Radiation
There are three main ways that heat is transferred between substances or objects. In this video lesson you'll learn about each one, and identify the differences between them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Middle Grades Science (014): Practice & Study Guide course
- Scientific Inquiry & Design
- Nature of Scientific Knowledge
- Major Developments & Historical Figures in Science
- Collecting & Analyzing Scientific Data
- Science Laboratory & Field Equipment Safety
- Environmental Effects of Science & Technology
- Energy Production & Natural Resource Management
- Science & Technology in Consumer Products
- The Atomic Model, Energy & Matter
- Basics of the Periodic Table
- Chemical Compounds & Reactions
- Acid-Base Chemistry
- Solutions & Solubility
- Basic Concepts of Mechanics
- Electricity & Magnetism Concepts
- Waves & Optics
- Structure & Function of Cells & Organelles
- Basic Biochemistry of Life
- Basic Genetics
- Evolution, Natural Selection & Biological Diversity
- Hierarchical Classification of Living Things
- Plant Structures & Function
- Animal & Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Population Dynamics & Ecology
- Intro to Rocks, Minerals & Soil
- Earth's Structure & Internal Processes
- Effects of Plate Tectonics
- Historical Geology
- Water Cycle
- Earth's Oceans & Landforms
- Freshwater Characteristics & Processes
- Atmosphere & Weather
- Climate & Seasons
- Exploring Features of the Solar System
- Earth-Moon-Sun System
- GACE Middle Grades Science Flashcards