About This Chapter
Conditions of the Lungs - Chapter Summary
These lessons focus on conditions and disorders of the lungs. You will find in-depth information concerning atelectasis, pulmonary fibrosis, and acute respiratory distress syndrome. Let our skilled instructors guide you through these lessons, then take the quizzes and chapter test to monitor your progress and provide self-assessment. Bright and informative writing, well-researched information and ready access to instructors make learning easy and fun, while our online format puts everything you need at your fingertips. The lessons cover the following information:
- Definition, types, causes and treatment of atelectasis
- Pulmonary fibrosis: stages, symptoms, treatment, and prognosis
- Causes and definition of acute respiratory distress syndrome
- Symptoms, treatment, prognosis and mortality rate of acute respiratory distress syndrome
- Prognosis and stages of atherosclerosis
1. What is Atelectasis?
Have you ever heard of atelectasis? You may have read that it's a collapsed lung. But that's not the whole story. This lesson explains exactly what this problem is and how it's classified.
2. Atelectasis: Symptoms & Treatment
The phrase collapsed lung may sound scary, but it does not have to be. As you'll learn in this lesson on atelectasis, sometimes it has no symptoms and needs no treatment, but other times it does.
3. What is Pulmonary Fibrosis?
What do old balloons have to do with our lungs? Well, if you're interested in learning about pulmonary fibrosis, you'd also be interested in learning the connection between the two. This lesson explains what this condition is and the general mechanism behind why it occurs.
4. Pulmonary Fibrosis: Stages & Prognosis
In this lesson, you will learn about pulmonary fibrosis. Pulmonary fibrosis can greatly impact a person's quality life and we will review the different stages of the disease. Pulmonary fibrosis is a life limiting disease and we will discuss the prognosis associated with each stage.
5. Pulmonary Fibrosis: Symptoms & Treatment
Pulmonary fibrosis is a serious disorder that can be caused by many inciting factors. This lesson focuses on pointing out the many different signs and symptoms of this disorder as well as possible treatment options.
6. What is Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis?
There is a broad disorder called pulmonary fibrosis. However, there is also a very specific form of it called idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. This lesson teaches you about its definition and the traditional and current explanations for its existence.
7. Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome: Definition & Causes
Inhaling too much water when nearly drowning is one way to cause fluid to buildup in your lungs. Can you think of any other ways from internal or external causes? Find out about many other ways as you learn about acute respiratory distress.
8. Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome: Prognosis & Mortality Rate
There are many conditions that can be very deadly without treatment and one of them is called acute respiratory distress syndrome. Find out how deadly it may be and what its prognosis carries.
9. Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome: Symptoms & Treatment
Acute respiratory distress syndrome is an extremely dangerous condition. Death can be avoided if signs and symptoms are recognized and the person is treated immediately. Find out what to look for and how this condition is treated.
10. Atherosclerosis: Stages & Prognosis
In this lesson, we will explore the stages of atherosclerosis. We will also discuss lifestyle changes and treatment options to obtain the best prognosis of this potentially fatal disease.
11. Inhalation Injury: Signs & Treatment
Inhalation injuries can be deadly. Find out what these injuries are, what their signs and symptoms might be, as well as some of the potential treatment options for them.
12. Smoke Inhalation: Dangers & Prevention
This lesson goes over many of the dangers posed by smoke inhalation. It will also go over some preventative strategies people (at home or work) can use to minimize these dangers.
13. Smoke Inhalation & Pregnancy
Have you ever considered that smoke inhalation may occur from sources other than smoking? In this lesson we will explore sources of smoke inhalation and associated health risks to a pregnant woman and the unborn child.
14. Lung Contusion: Definition & Symptoms
This lesson describes lung contusions. You'll learn exactly what they are as well as the major reasons for how and why they occur. You'll also learn what signs and symptoms this may lead to.
15. Lung Contusion: Treatment & Recovery Time
A lung contusion is a bruise in the lungs that can be due to a blunt force to the chest. Learn about the treatment options for lung contusion and discover the recovery time and prognosis for this condition.
16. Lung Contusion: Management & Complications
This lesson defines lung contusion. It also goes over the two major complications, how lung contusions may need to be managed, and specific considerations that must be taken into account.
17. Bronchial Rupture: Signs & Diagnosis
A bronchial rupture is a break or tear in the bronchi, which are part of the respiratory tract. In this lesson, learn about the signs and diagnosis of this type of injury.
18. Bronchial Rupture: Management & Treatment
The trachea and bronchial branches of the respiratory system are essential in the process of respiration. In this lesson, we will discuss how to manage and treat bronchial rupture.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the First Aid & CPR Training for Health Professionals course
- Responding to Emergencies
- Rescue Techniques & Methods
- Air Embolisms & Cardiac Arrhythmia
- Recognizing & Treating Angina
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Heart Disease & Heart Failure
- Understanding Strokes
- Preventing & Treating Strokes
- Ischemic, Hemorrhagic & Mini Strokes
- Massive, Mild & Silent Strokes
- Dealing with Heat Stroke
- Blood Clot Types & Complications
- Blood Clot Sites
- Acidosis, Alkalosis & Polycythemia
- Hypercapnia, Hypercarbia, & Hypoxia
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- Pneumonia & Pneumothorax
- Bell's Palsy
- Conditions of the Brain
- Understanding & Treating Brain Aneurysms
- Understanding & Treating Heartburn
- Diagnosing & Treating Coughs
- Dealing with Allergies & Pests