About This Chapter
Configuring Virtual Machines & Networks with Hyper-V - Chapter Summary
Our professional instructors outline how to configure virtual machines and networks with Hyper-V in this informative chapter. Just a few of the topics covered include the benefits of virtualization, different types of virtual machines and how virtual machines provide operating system functions. Take the quiz included with each lesson to make sure you understand what you're learning. These lessons are self-paced and available for you to study at your convenience 24 hours a day. Once you complete this chapter, you will be ready to:
- Provide an overview of the use of Hyper-V in Windows Server
- Detail virtualization architectures and Hyper-V in Windows Server 2016
- Explain how to install Hyper-V implementation
- Use Hyper-V manager to configure a virtual machine
- Configure guest integration services with Hyper-V manager in Windows Server 2016
- Discuss memory allocation in Hyper-V enhanced session mode
- Manage and create virtual disks using Hyper-V in Windows Server 2016
- Implement network virtualization with Hyper-V
- Explain NIC team and isolated network configuration with Hyper-V in Windows Server 2016
1. Virtualization: Definition & Benefits
Virtualization is a hot topic these days, particularly in business. In this lesson, we'll take a look at virtualization, including what it is and some benefits of using it.
2. Virtual Machines: Types & Life Cycle
In this lesson, we will learn about Virtual Machines and their types and functions. We will also discuss the life cycle of a virtual machine and the tools offered for administrators.
3. How Virtual Machines Provide Operating System Functions
Hardware virtualization is considered both a complicated process as well as a simple idea at the same time. In this lesson, you will be taken through an overview of how virtual machines can work the same as their physical machines.
4. What is Hyper-V in Windows Server? - Overview & Use
This lesson covers the basics of what Microsoft's Hyper-V technology is and how it enables workload virtualization in today's highly scalable business processes.
5. How to Install Hyper-V Implementation in Windows Server 2016
This lesson describes how to install Hyper-V on Windows Server 2016 using PowerShell, explains the various management tools included with Hyper-V Manager, and defines how to upgrade an existing configuration to run on the Server 2016 version of Hyper-V.
6. Using Hyper-V Manager to Configure a Virtual Machine in Windows Server 2016
In this lesson, you will learn the steps to use Hyper-V Manager to manage a virtual machine using PowerShell Direct. You will also learn the basic PowerShell Direct commands to be used with Hyper-V virtual machines.
7. Memory Management in a Virtual Machine (VM) in Windows Server 2016: Configuration, Smart Paging & RAM
This lesson explains the different configuration types of virtual machine memory and how to assign and configure them using Hyper-V Manager. It also defines smart paging and how it can be leveraged to increase VM memory density on the host computer.
8. Configuring NIC Teaming in Windows Server 2016
In this lesson, you will learn how to configure NIC Teaming, a feature included in the Windows Server 2016 operating system. This lesson will also explain the features and modes of operation of NIC Teaming, specifically switch independent mode and switch dependent mode.
9. Hyper-V PowerShell Commands for Windows Server 2016: List & Uses
In this lesson, you will learn about some essential Windows PowerShell commands that are used in the configuration and management in Hyper-V in Windows Server 2016.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Computer Science 322: Windows Server Configuration course
- Windows Server 2016 Installation & Configuration
- Configuring Storage & Replication in Windows Server 2016
- File & Share Access in Windows Server 2016
- Creating & Managing Active Directory Users & Computers in Windows Server 2016
- Active Directory Groups & Organizational Units in Windows Server 2016
- Configuring Network Services with IPv4 & IPv6 in Windows Server 2016
- DHCP & DNS Configuration & Deployment in Windows Server 2016
- Installing Windows Active Directory Domain Services in Windows Server 2016
- Ensuring High Availability in Windows Server 2016 Installations
- Clustering in Windows Server 2016
- Windows Containers in Windows Server 2016
- Security Policies, Group Policies & User Account Control in Windows Server 2016
- Security Policies, Application Restrictions & Windows Firewall in Windows 2016
- Maintaining & Monitoring Windows Server 2016