About This Chapter
Conic Sections: Ellipses, Circles, Hyperbolas & Parabolas - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
In this chapter of informative lessons, learn how to identify, graph and write equations for various types of conic sections. You can also become acquainted with common terminology, such as foci and vertices, in addition. When you've worked your way through this set of lessons, you should feel comfortable with the topics below:
- Ellipses in algebra
- Distance formula related to circles
- Equations of hyperbolas in standard form
- Formulas for conic sections
|Defining and Graphing Ellipses in Algebra||Learn strategies for graphing algebraic ellipses.|
|How to Write the Equation of an Ellipse in Standard Form||Practice writing equations of ellipses in standard form.|
|The Circle: Definition, Conic Sections & Distance Formula||Find out how to use the distance formula when dealing with conic sections.|
|The Hyperbola: Definition, Vertices, Foci & Graphing||Discover the parts of hyperbolas and how to graph them.|
|How to Write the Equation of a Hyperbola in Standard Form||Explore methods for writing hyperbola equations in standard form.|
|The Parabola: Definition & Graphing||Find out the steps for graphing parabolas.|
|How to Write the Equation of a Parabola in Standard Form||Learn to use standard form when writing equations of parabolas.|
|How to Identify a Conic Section by Its Formulas||Practice using formulas to pinpoint conic sections.|
1. Defining and Graphing Ellipses in Algebra
Watch this video lesson to find out what makes ellipses so unique. Learn what kind of shape an ellipse is, how you can create one yourself and how you can graph an ellipse by just looking at the numbers in the equation.
2. How to Write the Equation of an Ellipse in Standard Form
In algebra, we have equations that make our life so much easier. Some equations are able to tell us information without hard math. Watch this video lesson to see how the equation of an ellipse does this.
3. The Circle: Definition, Conic Sections & Distance Formula
Watch this video lesson, and you will learn what makes a circle a conic section. Also learn how to calculate the circumference of a circle. You will learn about the one important measurement that you need for any circle.
4. The Hyperbola: Definition, Vertices, Foci & Graphing
In this video lesson, we'll learn what a hyperbola is and how to graph one using the standard equation to find the center point, vertices and focus points.
5. How to Write the Equation of a Hyperbola in Standard Form
When it comes to equations in algebra, there is most always a standard form that provides us with useful information. Watch this video lesson to learn how to write the standard form equation of a hyperbola by using information about the hyperbola.
6. The Parabola: Definition & Graphing
Watch this video lesson to learn what a parabola is and how you can graph it. Find out how to extract useful information from the standard form equation of a parabola to help you graph it.
7. How to Write the Equation of a Parabola in Standard Form
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to write the equation of a parabola in standard form when given just two important points from the parabola. Learn what these two points are and how they relate to the parabola.
8. How to Identify a Conic Section by Its Formulas
In algebra, we have a formula for everything. Take a cone and slice it and we have a formula for the shape that results. Watch this video lesson to learn how to distinguish between these formulas.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Algebra 2 and Trig Textbook course
- Identifying Real Numbers
- Complex Numbers
- Absolute Value Review
- Solving Algebraic Expressions & Equations
- Calculating Rational Expressions
- Working with Linear Equations
- Solving & Graphing Inequalities
- Graphing & Working with Trigonometric Functions
- Graph Symmetry
- Graphing with Functions
- Solving Linear Equations
- Calculating & Graphing Polynomials
- Calculating & Simplifying Exponential Expressions
- Square Roots & Radical Expressions
- Quadratic Equations & Formulas
- Factoring & Graphing Quadratic Equations
- Vectors, Matrices and Determinants
- Exponential Functions & Logarithmic Functions
- Arithmetic & Geometric Sequences & Series
- Calculating & Presenting Statistics
- Combinatorics & Probability
- Using Trigonometric Functions
- Trigonometric Graphs
- Trigonometric Applications
- Solving Trigonometric Equations
- Trigonometric Identities
- Circles, Angles & Circular Arcs