About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other high school geometry work.
- Identify the conic sections concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our high school geometry tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about conic sections and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding ellipses, hyperbolas, parabolas or any other conic sections topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their math learning
- Prefer learning math visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their conic sections unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in high school geometry
- Don't have access to their math teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about conic sections simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live algebra tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about conic sections on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Learn to work with circle conic sections.
- Gain the knowledge needed to locate a hyperbola's vertices and foci.
- Explore parabolas, and learn to graph them with vertices both at and not at the origin.
- Learn to identify a conic section by its formulas.
1. Derive the Equation of a Hyperbola from the Foci
This lesson will go over what a hyperbola is and walk through the steps of finding the equation of a hyperbola given just the foci and vertex. After learning the process, we will look at an example of finding a hyperbola equation given this information.
2. Derive the Equation of an Ellipse from the Foci
In this lesson, you're going to learn the definition of an ellipse and foci, the standard forms of the equation for an ellipse, and how to find such an equation when given the foci.
3. Finding the Equation of a Parabola from the Focus and Directrix
A parabola is the familiar shape seen in many physical applications, like the path taken by a ball thrown upwards. This lesson explores equations for the parabola and shows how they may be obtained from two quantities: the focus and the directrix.
4. Foci and the Definitions of Ellipses and Hyperbolas
In this lesson, we'll look at the definition of an ellipse and a hyperbola. We'll use the foci of each of these to define them technically and formally, and we'll look at some examples to make the definitions more understandable.
5. Practice with the Conic Sections
Conic sections are shapes created by cutting through a 3D cone. In this lesson, learn how to identify each conic section from its graph and characteristic equation.
6. The Focus and Directrix of a Parabola
In this lesson, we will review what a parabola is, then we will look at the formal definition of a parabola, introducing the focus and directrix of a parabola. We will look at some examples to help solidify our understanding of these concepts.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Geometry: Tutoring Solution course
- Foundations of Geometry: Tutoring Solution
- Logic in Mathematics: Tutoring Solution
- Introduction to Geometric Figures: Tutoring Solution
- Properties of Triangles: Tutoring Solution
- Triangles, Theorems and Proofs: Tutoring Solution
- Parallel Lines and Polygons: Tutoring Solution
- Similar Polygons: Tutoring Solution
- Quadrilaterals: Tutoring Solution
- Symmetry, Similarity and Congruence
- Circular Arcs and Circles: Tutoring Solution
- Geometric Solids: Tutoring Solution
- Analytical Geometry: Tutoring Solution
- Introduction to Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution