About This Chapter
Conics in Algebra - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll learn what a conic is and see how various figures are created by sectioning. Our instructors will show you how to work with ellipses, circles, parabolas and hyperbolas. Another lesson will show you how a formula can help you spot a conic section. After watching these video lessons, you should be able to:
- Graph and write the equation of an ellipse
- Use the distance formula to calculate the circumference of circles
- Identify vertices and foci in the graph of a hyperbola
- Define and graph a parabola
- Use standard form to write the equation of a parabola
- Utilize formulas to identify a conic section
You'll find that learning is fun with these brief video lessons. Each also includes a multiple-choice quiz that lets you hone your test-taking skills while assessing your knowledge of the subject. If you need to review a particular concept, the lessons include a jump feature on the timeline that makes it easy to go back to the portion you need to re-watch. If you still have questions, feel free to contact the instructor, who will be glad to help.
1. Defining and Graphing Ellipses in Algebra
Watch this video lesson to find out what makes ellipses so unique. Learn what kind of shape an ellipse is, how you can create one yourself and how you can graph an ellipse by just looking at the numbers in the equation.
2. How to Write the Equation of an Ellipse in Standard Form
In algebra, we have equations that make our life so much easier. Some equations are able to tell us information without hard math. Watch this video lesson to see how the equation of an ellipse does this.
3. The Circle: Definition, Conic Sections & Distance Formula
Watch this video lesson, and you will learn what makes a circle a conic section. Also learn how to calculate the circumference of a circle. You will learn about the one important measurement that you need for any circle.
4. The Hyperbola: Definition, Vertices, Foci & Graphing
In this video lesson, we'll learn what a hyperbola is and how to graph one using the standard equation to find the center point, vertices and focus points.
5. How to Write the Equation of a Hyperbola in Standard Form
When it comes to equations in algebra, there is most always a standard form that provides us with useful information. Watch this video lesson to learn how to write the standard form equation of a hyperbola by using information about the hyperbola.
6. The Parabola: Definition & Graphing
Watch this video lesson to learn what a parabola is and how you can graph it. Find out how to extract useful information from the standard form equation of a parabola to help you graph it.
7. How to Write the Equation of a Parabola in Standard Form
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to write the equation of a parabola in standard form when given just two important points from the parabola. Learn what these two points are and how they relate to the parabola.
8. How to Identify a Conic Section by Its Formulas
In algebra, we have a formula for everything. Take a cone and slice it and we have a formula for the shape that results. Watch this video lesson to learn how to distinguish between these formulas.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Accuplacer College Level Math Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- Operations with Basic Algebraic Expressions
- Arithmetic with Rational Expressions
- Factoring in Algebra
- Expanding Polynomials
- Manipulating Roots
- Working with Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- Solving & Graphing Linear Equations
- Quadratic Equations
- Calculating & Graphing Inequalities
- Solving Systems of Linear Equations
- Geometric Angles & Shapes
- Algebraic Concepts of Groups & Sets
- Graphs of Algebraic Functions
- Complex and Imaginary Numbers
- Notation, Sequences & Series
- Matrices and Determinants in Algebra
- Fractions, Decimals & Mixed Numbers
- Approaches to Math Word Problems
- Understanding Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- Trigonometric Functions & Equations