About This Chapter
Connection Between Matter & Energy - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll find bite-sized lessons and multiple-choice quizzes designed to help you review the connection between energy and matter. Some of the lesson topics include the first and second laws of thermodynamics and the law of conservation of matter, plus the relationship between different energy types and the types of energy transformation. Once you complete this chapter, you should be ready to:
- Outline the physical and chemical properties of matter
- Differentiate between chemical and physical changes to states of matter
- Convert between Kelvins and Celsius
- Define thermal energy and provide examples
- Calculate specific heat capacity for different substances
- Identify the different mechanisms of heat transfer
- Explain the different types of energy
- Compare heat and temperature
Take your time as you complete this chapter, and feel free to view the lessons as many times as needed. Use the timeline to quickly navigate our video lessons. As a great way to check your understanding, take the quizzes provided with the lessons and the test at the end of the chapter. Help from an instructor is available through the Dashboard if you need it.
1. First Law of Thermodynamics: Law of Conservation of Energy
This video describes the first law of thermodynamics. Several examples of the application of this law are discussed. The significance of the law and its practical application are discussed as well.
2. Second Law of Thermodynamics: Entropy and Systems
In this lesson, we'll learn about the second law of thermodynamics. By studying this law, you'll understand how energy works and why we're all moving towards eventual chaos and disorder.
3. Law of Conservation of Matter: Definition & Matter
In this lesson, we'll learn the definition of the Law of Conservation of Mass, sometimes called the Conservation of Matter. This lesson explores the discovery of this important principle and covers a few examples of how it works.
4. Kinetic Energy to Potential Energy: Relationship in Different Energy Types
This video defines and describes kinetic and potential energy. You'll learn how different types of energy can be classified as potential and kinetic. You'll also find out how kinetic and potential energy are transformed.
5. Energy Transformation: Definition, Types & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn about the different kinds of energy and how these types of energy can be transformed from one form to another. You will also learn about some uses of these energy transformations in everyday life.
6. Matter: Physical and Chemical Properties
How are substances identified? There are two major ways we can describe a substance: physical properties and chemical properties. Learn about how chemists use properties to classify matter as either a mixture or a pure substance.
7. States of Matter and Chemical Versus Physical Changes to Matter
The world around us is constantly changing. Chemists put those changes into two main categories: physical changes and chemical changes. This lesson will define and provide examples of each.
8. Temperature Units: Converting Between Kelvin and Celsius
Have you ever wondered what the lowest possible temperature is? In this lesson, you will learn what temperature measures. You will also be introduced to the Kelvin scale (an absolute scale) and learn how it relates to the Celsius scale.
9. What is Thermal Energy? - Definition & Examples
This lesson defines and identifies examples of thermal energy everywhere from your kitchen to the Earth's core. We'll discuss geothermal energy, a renewable energy source, as well.
10. How to Calculate Specific Heat Capacity for Different Substances
This lesson describes specific heat capacity and explains how the specific heat capacity of water helps to maintain a relatively constant temperature in nature. Learn how to identify the specific heat capacity of other common materials and how to calculate specific heat capacity with an experiment.
11. Mechanisms of Heat Transfer: Conduction, Convection & Radiation
There are three main ways that heat is transferred between substances or objects. In this video lesson you'll learn about each one, and identify the differences between them.
12. What are the Different Types of Energy?
Energy is one of the most fundamental concepts in many scientific fields. Learn more about its different types, subsequently testing your knowledge with a quiz.
13. Comparing Heat & Temperature
Heat and temperature aren't the same thing, contrary to everyday usage. Learn about the differences between the two concepts in science. Test your understanding with a quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Pennsylvania Grades 4-8 Core Assessment - Mathematics & Science (5155): Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Real & Rational Numbers
- Exponents & Operations
- Properties of Operations
- Fractions, Decimals & Percents
- Ratios, Rates & Proportional Relationships
- Number Theory & Estimation
- Radical & Exponential Expressions
- Linear Equations & Inequalities
- Nonlinear Equations & Inequalities
- Systems of Equations
- Sequences & Patterns in Math
- Understanding & Comparing Functions
- Function Graphs & Models
- Perimeter, Area & Volume Overview
- Properties of Angles & Lines
- Properties of Shapes Overview
- Geometric Relationships & Transformations
- Systems of Measurement & Conversion
- Geometric Construction
- Data Interpretation in Math
- Dispersion & Probability Models
- Logical Reasoning & Visual Representations of Data
- Scientific Inquiry & Methodology
- Scientific Data Analysis & Interpretation
- Science Laboratory Equipment & Safety
- Major Developments & Historical Figures in Science
- Basic Principles of Matter & Energy
- Structure of an Atom
- Interdisciplinary Applications of Energy & Matter
- Impact of Science & Technology on the Environment
- Energy Production & Resource Use
- Science & Technology Used in Everyday Life
- Science & Public Health
- Mechanics in Physics
- Analyzing Motion & Forces
- Electricity & Magnetic Forces
- Wave Characteristics & Phenomena
- Light, Sound & Waves
- Elements & The Periodic Table
- Chemical Bonding & Simple Chemical Compounds
- Interpreting Chemical Formulas
- Matter & Phase Changes
- Balancing & Using Chemical Equations
- Acid-Base Chemistry
- Understanding Solutions & Solubility
- Structure & Function of Cells & Organelles
- Understanding Biochemistry
- Understanding Genetics
- Theory & Mechanisms of Evolution
- Hierarchical Classification of Living Things
- Plant Structure & Function
- Animal & Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Basics of Ecology
- Earth's Surface Materials
- Earth's Internal Structure & Processes
- Geologic History
- Earth's Hydrosphere
- Earth's Bodies of Water
- Basics of Meteorology
- Earth's Climate & Seasons
- The Solar System & The Earth-Moon-Sun Relationship
- Galaxies & the Universe
- Space Exploration & Technology
- Pennsylvania Grades 4-8 Core Assessment - Mathematics & Science (5155) Flashcards