About This Chapter
Connective Tissue Overview - Chapter Summary
If you need a refresher on human connective tissue, this chapter's video lessons should help. Instructors cover the structures and functions of cartilage, blood, fibrous connective tissue and more. You'll also take a look at bone tissues as well as the roles of intramembranous and endochondral ossification in bone formation. After you've made it through the lessons, you should be able to:
- List and describe the types of connective tissue
- Explain the functions of blood's three components
- Discuss fibrous connective tissue's function
- Identify the types of cartilage
- Describe the types of bone tissue
- Understand the types and structure of bones
- Recognize factors involved in bone growth and development
To help you improve your knowledge of connective tissue, we offer fun video lessons that are typically less than 10 minutes in length. These videos, which are developed by professional instructors, contain numerous diagrams or animations to help you visualize the internal structures of the body. The lesson quizzes are in a multiple-choice format and will help you gauge your understanding of this chapter's topics.
1. Types of Connective Tissue
In this lesson, you'll learn about the various types of connective tissues in the body. These tissues include bone, fat, cartilage and blood. They form the framework of the body, support organs and much, much more!
2. Adipose Tissue and Loose Connective Tissue: Functions and Structures
This lesson explores the structure and function of two types of connective tissue: adipose tissue and loose connective tissue. You'll learn about the cells and fibers that make up each tissue and explore how these structures help our body function.
3. Functions of Red Blood Cells, White Blood Cells & Platelets
Blood is a connective tissue vital to our body's survival. In this lesson, we will explore the three functions of blood by delving into red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets - the three individual components that make up blood as a whole.
4. Fibrous Connective Tissue: Function & Types
In this lesson, you'll learn about a specific type of connective tissue called fibrous connective tissue. You'll also discover the other specialized fibrous connective tissues: tendons, ligaments and fasciae.
5. What is Cartilage? - Definition, Types & Function
Cartilage is a strong, flexible type of connective tissue found within a body. Learn more about its structure and function, as well as the different types of cartilage connective tissue we have in our bodies.
6. Bone Tissue: Functions and Types
In this lesson, we will explore bone as a connective tissue. We will discuss the anatomy of bone, as well as the cell types which make up bone, including how bone is formed and broken down.
7. Anatomy of a Bone: Parts, Marrow & Types
In this lesson, you'll learn how to classify bones by their shape. Additionally, you'll discover the structural makeup of bone and the different bone markings.
8. Bone Growth & Development Factors: Endochondral Ossification
In this lesson, you will learn about the two ways we form bones: intramembranous ossification and endochondral ossification. You'll also discover how our bones grow after we're born.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Physical Education (5091): Practice & Study Guide course
- Introduction to Physical Education
- Physical Development, Health & Fitness
- Motor Skills & Movement Activities
- Kinesiology & Biomechanics
- Physical Education & Weight Management
- Functions of the Cardiorespiratory System
- Muscular System Functions
- Gross Anatomy of the Muscular System
- Human Skeletal System
- Softball Rules & Skills
- Soccer History & Rules
- Swimming Skills & Benefits
- Tennis Rules & Techniques
- History & Rules of Track & Field
- Volleyball History & Rules
- Cognitive Influences on Learning
- Behavioral Influences on Learning
- Student Learning & Motivation
- Managing the Physical Education Classroom
- Communication in Physical Education Settings
- Planning & Instruction in Physical Education
- Student Assessment Types
- Measurement & Analysis for Student Assessments
- Student Assessment in Special Education
- Collaboration, Reflection & Technology in Physical Education
- Praxis Physical Education Flashcards