About This Chapter
Considerations for Managing a Global Business - Chapter Summary
Your organization can use these lessons to help managers understand the best tactics for running a global business and the different aspects that they need to be prepared to handle when working with different cultures. They will study the following:
- How to use five common aspects of management in international business
- The role of the international manager
- Factors unique to managing in international business
- Advantages of hiring a diverse workforce
- Staffing choices for a global business
- Training staff in diversity
- Theory on the dimensions of culture
You can use our lessons as a corporate training tool to show your international managers how to adapt their existing skills and develop new skills suited for international management. Short quizzes let them assess their knowledge, and the video format makes it easy to go back and review areas that require more study.
How It Helps
- Uses common knowledge: These lessons stress familiar aspects of management that your employees can adapt for use in the global marketplace.
- Emphasizes organization: Your managers will be briefed on the organizational skills required for global business.
- Explains staffing options: Managing a global business often requires a diverse workforce, and your managers will learn about hiring and supervising people of different cultures.
- Positions the business for success: An organization with managers who are aware of and trained in the skills for doing business in a global environment will be prepared for new opportunities.
When your managers have finished these lessons, they should be prepared to:
- Describe how the role of a manager differs in an international organization
- Name factors that must be considered when doing business internationally
- Manage a diverse workforce
- Understand staffing options, including ethnocentric and regiocentric staffing
- Explain benefits of diversity training
- Recognize ways different cultures view business
1. Managerial Functions in the International Organization
Every manager focuses on five different aspects of management. These aspects are common knowledge and when used together, they help to create an effective manager. This lesson will address those areas and integrate them into international business.
2. Characteristics of the International Manager in Global Organizations
Managers need to be able to plan, control, organize, and lead their companies and departments. When we look at international business, there are some additional aspects that come into play for a manager to be successful.
3. Practical Application: Characteristics of Global Business Managers
Success in global business management requires specific skills. In this practical application, we'll look at some of the characteristics of global business managers and examine ways to become more aware of your strengths and challenges in that area.
4. Managing in International Companies
Managing in international companies takes a special type of person. The reason for that is that not only do managers have to have an understanding of how to conduct business, but they also must deal with several other factors that are present in the international arena.
5. Managing a Diverse Workforce in Contemporary Organizations
Diversity is all around us and is a huge part of the business climate today. All companies strive for diversity, so they can have a unique perspective and look at issues through the eyes of their employees. This lesson will address diversity in a global setting.
6. Global Staffing Approaches: Ethnocentric, Regiocentric, Polycentric, and Geocentric
Human resource management professionals working for global organizations often have unique staffing choices. In this lesson, you'll learn about ethnocentric staffing, regiocentric staffing and geocentric staffing. A short quiz follows.
7. Benefits of Diversity Training in Globalized Business
Organizations are currently more focused on training their staff to understand diversity. In this lesson, we will look at diversity training in global organizations.
8. Hofstede's Cultural Dimensions Theory
Dimensions of culture are an important aspect of international business. Knowing how cultures view different aspects of business can help a manager navigate through the international business market.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Managing Business in a Global Environment course