About This Chapter
Consultation Models in Psychology - Chapter Summary
There are as many approaches to psychological treatment as there are people seeking treatment. Our instructors explain how to assess the best approach to therapy in specific contexts, including individual and group therapy. You will learn to distinguish, assess, and treat the specific group as well as the purpose and benefits of group counseling. As you progress through the chapter, you'll learn about the structure and history of group counseling, types of support groups, and other groups an individual may be a part of, including:
- Community mental health initiatives
- Support groups
- Religious or spiritual groups
- Couples or families
These video lessons and self-assessment quizzes help make tracking your learning progress easier. Our professional instructors provide focused segments on key aspects of consultation models. You can check your progress through the chapter from your Dashboard and view a brief summary from the video tags in the Timeline to quickly find specific points.
1. Individual Therapy: Psychodynamic, Cognitive & Behavioral
What are the different approaches to individual therapy? In this lesson, we'll watch as Mary tries to find the type of individual therapy that works best for her. Will she be able to overcome her problems? Let's find out!
2. Couples Therapy: Definition & Techniques
In this lesson, you'll learn what couples therapy is, how it can be useful, and some of the techniques that are used. Once completed, you can take a short quiz to gauge your level of understanding.
3. What Is Family Therapy? - Techniques & Concept
In this lesson, you will learn about common family system problems and some of the techniques that are used in the assessment and treatment of families. After completing the lesson, you can take a short quiz to gauge your level of understanding.
4. Group Therapy: Definition, Uses & Types
When an individual has personal problems they want to work on with the help of a professional therapist, they don't necessarily have to do it one-on-one. They could benefit from group therapy instead. When is group therapy a good option?
5. Community Approaches to Mental Health Treatment: Prevention & Intervention
How are people with mental illnesses treated? In this lesson, we'll look at community mental health initiatives aimed at helping people prevent and get treatment for psychological disorders.
6. What Is a Support Group? - Definition & Types
You may have heard of Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) or Mothers Against Drunk Drivers (MADD). These are popular, nationally-recognized support groups. There are many types and benefits to support groups - find out more in this lesson.
7. Introspection and Self-Awareness Theory in Psychology: Definition & Examples
How do introspection and self-awareness affect the way we view ourselves? In this lesson, we'll look at the definition, examples, and effects of introspection and self-awareness.
8. Religious and Spiritual Development in Counseling
Religious or spiritual discussions do not just happen in churches. This lesson looks into spiritual and religious counseling done by therapists and why it is of interest to clients.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Examination for Professional Practice in Psychology (EPPP): Study Guide & Practice course
- Neuroanatomy & Bases of Behavior
- Neurophysiology & Behavior
- Psychopharmacology Classification & Guidelines
- Behavioral Genetics Overview
- Methodologies for Biological Bases of Behavior
- Elements of Cognition
- Principles of Learning
- Models of Motivation & Emotion
- Cognition & Health
- Psychosocial Factors in Health
- Social Perception & Cognition
- Social Interaction in Psychology
- Group Dynamics in Psychology
- Environmental & Evolutionary Psychological Perspectives
- Social-Contextual Issues & Human Behavior
- Race & Ethnicity in Psychology
- Psychology of Gender & Sexuality
- Disability & Rehabilitation
- Immigration & Cultural Issues
- Human Lifespan Development
- Human Development Risk Factors
- Assessment, Diagnosis & Psychometrics
- Psychological Assessment Models & Instruments
- Psychological Assessments
- Diagnostic Classification Systems
- Using Data in Psychology
- Technology & Assessments in Psychology
- Psychology Treatment, Prevention & Supervision
- Psychology Career Counseling
- Healthcare Systems & Wellness
- Research Methods & Statistics
- Research & Evaluation in Psychology
- Psychology Ethical Codes & Standards
- Ethical, Legal & Professional Issues in Psychology
- EPPP Study Guide & Practice Flashcards