About This Chapter
Consumer Awareness of Health Care - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
In this chapter, the instructor gives you an overview of the U.S. health care system and shows you how to be a knowledgeable health services consumer. Use the lessons to explore topics ranging from the purposes of a physical exam to the safety of over-the-counter medications. You can also explore the structure of the health care system alongside the roles of insurers. By this chapter's end, you should be able to:
- Identify the different types of health care plans and providers
- Discuss issues facing the U.S. health care system
- Make informed decisions about your health care
|Making Health Care Decisions: Factors, Choices & Criteria||Identify criteria to consider when choosing health care.|
|Your Physical Exam: Purpose & Major Components||Learn the components of a physical exam and explore their purposes.|
|The U.S. Health Care System: Description, Structure, Cost, Quality & Access||Examine changes in structure to the U.S. health care system and survey the different types of insurance. Explore some of the issues related to health care access, cost and quality.|
|Health Insurance and Health Care: Overview, Roles & Regulations||Discuss the role health insurers play in providing health care.|
|GRAS & GRAE: Safety & Efficacy of Over-the-Counter (OTC) Medications||Learn what GRAS and GRAE stand for and find out how a drug becomes an over-the-counter medication.|
|Medicare and Medicaid: Definitions & Functions||Examine the roles of Medicare and Medicaid in providing insurance to U.S. citizens.|
1. Making Health Care Decisions: Factors, Choices & Criteria
Making decisions relating to your healthcare may be a daunting challenge. This lesson will explore where you can turn to for more information and which types of information are best avoided.
2. Your Physical Exam: Purpose & Major Components
The physical exam is one of the most important tools at your doctor's disposal. Find out why, as well as what the major components of this critical test actually are.
3. The U.S. Health Care System: Description, Structure, Cost, Quality & Access
This lesson will explore the issues associated with the costs and quality of health care access, as well as what HMOs, PPOs, POS, HSAs, Medicare, and Medicaid are.
4. Health Insurance and Health Care: Overview, Roles & Regulations
This lesson will explain the major aspects of health insurance and its role in your health care costs. We will discuss premiums, deductibles, coinsurance, copays, and more!
5. GRAS & GRAE: Safety & Efficacy of Over-the-Counter (OTC) Medications
This lesson will explain what the term 'generally recognized as safe and effective' (GRASE, GRAS/E, GRASE/GRAE) means and how that is determined. We will also discuss over-the-counter medication approval.
6. Medicare and Medicaid: Definitions & Functions
This lesson will teach and define what Medicare and Medicaid are, what they are for, what they provide, and for whom they were established for. We'll also cover the four main parts of Medicare.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the DSST Health & Human Development: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Introduction to Health and Wellness
- Psychosocial Health for Personal Wellness
- Mood Disorders and Personal Health
- Anxiety Disorders and Personal Health
- Psychotic Disorders and Personal Health
- Personality Disorders and Personal Health
- Stress Disorders and Personal Health
- Stress Management and Coping Mechanisms
- Addictive Behaviors and Drug Use
- Alcohol & Tobacco Use and Personal Health
- Drugs & Substance Use Disorders
- Healthy Relationships and Sexuality
- Contraception and Family Planning
- Human Reproduction, Pregnancy & Birth
- Sexual & Gender Identity Disorders and Personal Health
- Nutrition's Role in Health
- Fitness for Personal Health
- Weight Management for Personal Health
- The Aging Population and Personal Health
- Dying & Bereavement in Personal Health
- Cardiovascular, Respiratory, & Endocrine Health
- Cancer and Personal Health
- Immune Disorders & Infectious Conditions
- Diabetes, Arthritis, and Genetic-Related Disorders
- Neurological Disorders, Symptoms & Conditions
- Introduction to Environmental Health and Risk Analysis
- Environmental Health: Issues and Human Concerns
- Intentional Violence and Injury
- Personal Safety Precautions
- DSST Informational Resources
- DSST Health & Human Development Flashcards