About This Chapter
Consumer Behavior in the Hospitality Industry - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll explore why consumers make the decisions they make and how consumer behavior influences marketing strategies. You'll find lessons on psychological concepts relating to consumerism, the benefits of understanding consumer behavior and the factors that most influence consumers in the hospitality industry. The brief lessons can be completed in about 5-10 minutes, and progress is easily tracked through your Dashboard. Use the self-assessment quizzes to measure how much you have learned and which topics you might need to review again. Once you have completed this chapter, you should have developed the ability to do the following:
- Explain how companies learn about consumer behavior
- List influences on a consumer's decision-making process
- Understand how consumers make decisions when buying products or services
- Describe the characteristics of consumer behavior in the hospitality industry
- Relate the psychological concepts at work in the consumer purchase process
- Discuss brand familiarity and its impact on consumer behavior
- Explain cognitive dissonance in relation to purchasing a product or service
- Describe how marketers use consumer behavior predictions to create marketing strategies
1. What Is Consumer Behavior in Marketing? - Factors, Model & Definition
The lesson addresses consumer behavior in marketing. Consumer behavior is explained and the way companies learn about consumer behavior is discussed. The way that marketing benefits from understanding consumer behavior is examined.
2. Influences on Consumer Buying Decisions: Cultures, Values & More
External influences are all around us and play a large role in our buying decisions. Watch this video to see how cultures, values and other influences shape our purchases.
3. Understanding the Consumer Decision-Making Process: A Marketing Must
In this lesson, you'll see how a consumer moves through a decision making process in order to purchase a product or service. Learn what methods marketers use to take advantage of this process.
4. Understanding the Consumer Adoption Process
Ever wonder how companies are able to go from design to profits? Some of it is luck, but an even bigger part of it is understanding their consumers. In this lesson, we take a look at the consumer adoption process.
5. Consumer Behavior in the Hospitality Industry: Influences & Characteristics
Understanding why your customers make decisions is invaluable in marketing and operating your hospitality business. Learn about the psychological factors that influence customers and how their behavior is affected by them.
6. Consumer Psychology and the Purchase Process
Basic psychology concepts like learning, memory and conditioning can play a big role in dictating what we decide to buy. Watch this video to see how they work together.
7. Brand Familiarity and the Purchase Process
The brand of a product is like its personality. In this lesson, we'll discuss the different levels of brand familiarity and how they can impact the decision making process.
8. Cognitive Dissonance & Post-Purchase Process
Have you ever second-guessed a major purchase? Watch this video to understand what cognitive dissonance is and how marketers can keep us from experiencing it.
9. Consumer Behavior Theory and Marketing Strategy
Watch this lesson to find out how marketers can use predictions about our behavior to create a strategy that helps them reach out to us and influence our decisions to buy.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Hospitality 301: Hospitality Marketing course
- Basics of Hospitality Marketing
- Hospitality Industry Trends
- Hospitality Marketing Research
- Hospitality Market Segmentation
- Pricing for the Hospitality Industry
- Hospitality Marketing Channels
- Hospitality Marketing Strategies
- Advertising for Hospitality
- Hospitality Industry & Public Relations
- Selling for the Hospitality Industry
- Hospitality Marketing & Technology
- Required Assignments for Hospitality 301
- Studying for Hospitality 301