About This Chapter
Consumer Buyer Behavior - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
An effective marketer has to grasp consumer behavior in order to create successful campaigns. The short and engaging lessons in this chapter help you better understand what consumers look for and why they make the decisions they do. If you are ever confused by a topic, you can reach out to an instructor for further clarification. Some of the topics covered include:
- The definition of consumer behavior theory
- Overview of how consumers make decisions
- The five-step process that leads to brand loyalty
- Summary of the purchasing process
- Factors that may influence buying decisions
|Consumer Behavior Theory and Marketing Strategy||Go over how consumer behavior and marketing are related.|
|Understanding the Consumer Decision-Making Process: A Marketing Must||Learn how consumers make decisions.|
|Understanding the Consumer Adoption Process||Study the five-step process that leads to a consumer becoming a customer.|
|Consumer Psychology and the Purchase Process||Apply basic psychological concepts to better understand consumer behavior.|
|Cognitive Dissonance & Post-Purchase Process||Learn the definition of cognitive dissonance and some tips on making the post-purchase process effective.|
|Brand Familiarity and the Purchase Process||Review how the power of branding may affect purchasing decisions.|
|Buying Behavior and Marketing: Types of Consumer Buying Decisions||Define different forms of purchasing decisions.|
|Influences on Consumer Buying Decisions: Cultures, Values & More||Cover some factors that may impact a consumer's purchasing behavior.|
1. Consumer Behavior Theory and Marketing Strategy
Watch this lesson to find out how marketers can use predictions about our behavior to create a strategy that helps them reach out to us and influence our decisions to buy.
2. Understanding the Consumer Decision-Making Process: A Marketing Must
In this lesson, you'll see how a consumer moves through a decision making process in order to purchase a product or service. Learn what methods marketers use to take advantage of this process.
3. Understanding the Consumer Adoption Process
Ever wonder how companies are able to go from design to profits? Some of it is luck, but an even bigger part of it is understanding their consumers. In this lesson, we take a look at the consumer adoption process.
4. Consumer Psychology and the Purchase Process
Basic psychology concepts like learning, memory and conditioning can play a big role in dictating what we decide to buy. Watch this video to see how they work together.
5. Cognitive Dissonance & Post-Purchase Process
Have you ever second-guessed a major purchase? Watch this video to understand what cognitive dissonance is and how marketers can keep us from experiencing it.
6. Brand Familiarity and the Purchase Process
The brand of a product is like its personality. In this lesson, we'll discuss the different levels of brand familiarity and how they can impact the decision making process.
7. Buying Behavior and Marketing: Types of Consumer Buying Decisions
Marketers must consider how consumers decide to buy their product. Consumers use nominal, limited, and extended decision making. Watch this video to learn more about the different types of consumer decisions.
8. Influences on Consumer Buying Decisions: Cultures, Values & More
External influences are all around us and play a large role in our buying decisions. Watch this video to see how cultures, values and other influences shape our purchases.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the UExcel Principles of Marketing: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Introduction to Marketing
- Marketing Environment Factors
- The Marketing Process
- Marketing Information & Research
- Business Buying Behavior
- Marketing Strategy
- Products, Services & Brands
- Distribution & Logistics
- Promotion, Advertising & Public Relations
- Direct & Online Marketing
- Selling & Pricing Strategies
- Global Marketing Strategies
- Social Responsibility & Marketing Ethics