About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help understanding consumer decision making will benefit from taking this course. You will be able to grasp the subject matter faster, retain critical knowledge longer and earn better grades. You're in the right place if you:
- Have fallen behind in understanding consumer behavior or consumer decision making.
- Need an efficient way to learn about consumer decision making.
- Learn best with engaging auditory and visual tools.
- Struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD.
- Experience difficulty understanding your teachers.
- Missed class time and need to catch up.
- Can't access extra marketing learning resources at school.
How it works:
- Start at the beginning, or identify the topics that you need help with.
- Watch and learn from fun videos, reviewing as needed.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Submit questions to one of our instructors for personalized support if you need extra help.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Consumer Decision Making chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Consumer Decision Making chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any relevant question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
In this chapter, you'll learn the answers to questions including:
- What is the theory behind consumer behavior?
- What steps are involved in the consumer decision-making process?
- How do conditioning, learning and memory factor into the consumer decision-making process?
- What levels are associated with brand familiarity?
- Why do consumers second guess their purchases?
- How are consumer buying decisions categorized and influenced?
1. Consumer Behavior Theory and Marketing Strategy
Watch this lesson to find out how marketers can use predictions about our behavior to create a strategy that helps them reach out to us and influence our decisions to buy.
2. Understanding the Consumer Decision-Making Process: A Marketing Must
In this lesson, you'll see how a consumer moves through a decision making process in order to purchase a product or service. Learn what methods marketers use to take advantage of this process.
3. Consumer Psychology and the Purchase Process
Basic psychology concepts like learning, memory and conditioning can play a big role in dictating what we decide to buy. Watch this video to see how they work together.
4. Cognitive Dissonance & Post-Purchase Process
Have you ever second-guessed a major purchase? Watch this video to understand what cognitive dissonance is and how marketers can keep us from experiencing it.
5. Brand Familiarity and the Purchase Process
The brand of a product is like its personality. In this lesson, we'll discuss the different levels of brand familiarity and how they can impact the decision making process.
6. Buying Behavior and Marketing: Types of Consumer Buying Decisions
Marketers must consider how consumers decide to buy their product. Consumers use nominal, limited, and extended decision making. Watch this video to learn more about the different types of consumer decisions.
7. Influences on Consumer Buying Decisions: Cultures, Values & More
External influences are all around us and play a large role in our buying decisions. Watch this video to see how cultures, values and other influences shape our purchases.
8. What Is Customer Service? - Definition, Types & Role in Marketing
Customer service is the act of taking care of the customer's needs by providing and delivering professional, helpful, high quality service and assistance before, during, and after the customer's requirements are met.
Customer Service Terms Flashcards
Are you looking for a job in customer service? Do you want to understand the skills needed to work in the customer service industry? If so, this set of flashcards will help you review basic customer service terms.
10. What is B2C Marketing? - Definition & Strategies
This lesson explains what B2C marketing is and how companies market their products and services to consumers. Marketing examples and strategies are provided as well.
11. What Is Customer Focus in Marketing? - Definition, Strategies & Examples
We will discuss customer focused marketing and its relevance in social media. Learn more about how managers utilize strategies in order to reach their target market.
12. What Is Full Service? - Definition & Overview
Depending on the business in question, the term 'full service' could mean a number of different things. In this lesson, we will outline what full service generally entails and provide examples of industries in which full service options may be found.
13. What is Purchasing Power? - Definition & Parity Theory
In this lesson, we'll be looking at purchasing power, which is used for computing the value of currency. After the lesson, you can test your knowledge with a short quiz.
14. What Is Total Customer Experience? - Definition & Model
In this lesson we'll discuss the Total Customer Experience: what is it, how to manage it, and why your business would want to make sure your interactions with your customers are positive.
15. Consumer Psychology: Definition & Behavior
Why do you buy one brand of soda over another? If you're a consumer psychologist, you're probably trying to answer these questions about consumers. In this lesson, you'll learn about some of the major factors that motivate consumer behavior.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Principles of Marketing: Help and Review course
- Marketing Philosophies and Ethics: Help and Review
- Competitive Advantage: Help and Review
- The Marketing Environment: Help and Review
- International Marketplace: Help and Review
- Business Marketing and Marketing Research: Help and Review
- Segmentation and Product Marketing: Help and Review
- Managing a Product and Retailing: Help and Review
- Overview of Global Logistics & Distribution
- Services Marketing: Tutoring Solution
- Promotion, Advertising and Public Relations: Help and Review
- Selling and Pricing Strategy: Help and Review
- Marketing & Promotion
- Small Business Marketing Strategies