About This Chapter
Contemporary & Future School of Management Theory Overview - Chapter Summary
If your managers are looking for a way to integrate contemporary and future school of management theory at work, have them review this self-paced professional development chapter. Consisting of engaging video lessons, this chapter helps managers quickly review the applications of business concepts like:
- Systems management theory
- The modern theory of management
- The quantitative school of management
- The contingency school of management
- Operations management
Included in the chapter are short quizzes that can help managers quickly reinforce the information while it's fresh in their minds. You can assign these lessons and quizzes to your managers at any time, and they can review the materials on any Internet-connected device.
How It Helps
- Builds awareness: The chapter helps employees cultivate a thorough awareness of several modern-day management theories and schools of management.
- Breaks down operations management topics: Employees will be able to use operations management as a way to focus on production efficiency and customer satisfaction.
- Strengthens managerial knowledge/skills: Managers who complete the chapter will be able to use these management theories to lead their employees more effectively.
By the end of the chapter, your managerial employees should be able to:
- Explain the modern theory of management
- Understand what operations management says about customer satisfaction and production efficiency
- Define systems management theory
- Create disaster recovery plans
- Compare the quality, quantitative and contingency schools of management
1. Modern Theory of Management
Theories of management have evolved over time, focusing on different approaches for different situations. Explore three modern theories of management and learn how best to balance them.
2. Quantitative School of Management: Improving Managerial Decision-Making
Learn how cooperation between mathematicians and scientists during World War II led to the formation of the Quantitative School of Management. Explore the influence of the Quantitative School of Management in improving managerial decision-making.
3. Operations Management: Focusing on Production Efficiency & Customer Satisfaction
Operations management involves overseeing and controlling the manufacturing process, which includes materials planning, process planning, capital requirements, and human capital. Explore operations management and strategies for improving production efficiency.
4. Systems Management Theory
Companies rely on systems management theory to help facilitate determined steps designed to achieve a goal. Learn about the systems management theory, the different types of systems, and how systems function within an organization.
5. Contingency School of Management
The contingency school of management argues that planning and organizing must be tailored to the specific issues a company might face. Explore the contingency school of management, disaster recovery planning, and environmental scanning.
6. Practical Application: Creating a Disaster Recovery Plan
No matter how hard we try to prevent things that will have a negative impact on the organization, disaster strikes anyway. When this happens, it's important that everyone in the organization knows how to restore normal operations quickly.
7. Quality School of Management: Kaizen & Reengineering Approaches
Total Quality Management, or TQM, is an approach to business activities that can help an organization deliver better products and services. Explore TQM, including the Kaizen philosophy and reengineering approaches, discover how it helped Japanese manufacturers become global competitors, plus learn how any organization can incorporate TQM into its processes.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Management: Skills Development & Training course
- Management Overview
- Classical School of Management Overview
- Behavioral School of Management Theory Overview
- Planning in Organizations Overview
- Organizational Change Overview
- Organizing in Business Management Overview
- Work Teams Overview
- Leading in Organizations Overview
- Leadership Theory Overview
- Motivation in the Workplace Overview
- Communication in the Workplace Overview
- Controlling in Organizations Overview
- Human Resources Overview
- Strategic Management & Managerial Decision Making Overview
- Production & Quality Assurance Overview
- International Management & Contemporary Issues Overview