About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Contemporary Literature chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday|| Things They Carried: Summary, Characters and Themes; |
Barbara Kingsolver: Biography, Books and Themes;
Things Fall Apart: Summary, Characters and Themes
| Analysis of the novel on the Vietnam War; |
The life and most well-known works of Barbara Kingsolver;
A look at the summary and themes of the book about an African tribesman
|Tuesday|| Cormac McCarthy: The Road and Other Novels; |
The Joy Luck Club and Other Amy Tan Novels
| Biographical information and well-known books of the American author; |
A synopsis of the book about Chinese immigrants and a look at Amy Tan's other works
|Wednesday|| Elie Wiesel's Night: Summary, History and Quotes; |
Ian McEwan Novels: Saturday and Atonement
| Introduction and context of the historical memoir about the Holocaust; |
A look at the British author's main characters and themes
|Thursday|| The Kite Runner: Summary, Characters and Themes; |
Kurt Vonnegut: Biography, Works and Themes
| An analysis of the plot and major characters; |
Biographical information and some of the most famous works of the satirical author
|Friday|| Bell Hooks: Works, Style and Themes; |
Chaim Potok's The Chosen: Plot, Characters and Themes
| An exploration of Hooks' style and feminist theories; |
A look at the early life of Potok and an analysis of some of the passages in The Chosen
1. The Things They Carried: Summary, Characters & Themes
The Vietnam War was a long, controversial military conflict. In this lesson, you'll get a summary of Tim O'Brien's Vietnam War novel, including a breakdown of the main characters and major ideas.
2. Things Fall Apart: Summary, Characters & Themes
Things Fall Apart tells the tragic story of a Nigerian tribesman who holds on to tradition in a changing world. In this lesson, you'll learn about the basic story and the characters involved, and you'll pick up on a few of the novel's major themes.
3. Elie Wiesel's Night: Summary, History & Quotes
The Holocaust of World War II was one of the darkest times in recent history. In this lesson, you'll get an overview of one of the most famous Holocaust memoirs, along with the historical context and some biographical highlights of the author, Elie Wiesel.
4. Ian McEwan Novels: Saturday and Atonement
In this lesson, you'll hit the highlights of two important novels by British writer Ian McEwan. You'll learn what happens in the books, who the main characters are, and which big ideas McEwan develops.
5. The Kite Runner: Summary, Characters & Themes
The Kite Runner is a contemporary novel set in Afghanistan that has drawn equal amounts of praise and controversy. In this lesson, you'll learn about the main characters, the main ideas, and get a summary of the crucial events.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 11th Grade English Curriculum Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Literary Terms, Theory and Analysis Lesson Plans
- Anglo Saxon and Medieval Literature Lesson Plans
- Shakespeare and Renaissance Literature Lesson Plans
- Gothic and Romantic Literature Lesson Plans
- 19th Century Literature Lesson Plans
- 20th Century Literature Lesson Plans
- African American Writers Lesson Plans
- Drama for 11th Grade Lesson Plans
- Interpreting Literature Lesson Plans
- Listening and Viewing 11th Grade Lesson Plans
- Literary Terms for 11th Grade Lesson Plans
- Basics of Writing Essays 11th Grade Lesson Plans
- Reading and Understanding Essays 11th Grade Lesson Plans
- Using Source Materials Lesson Plans
- Conventions in Writing: Usage Lesson Plans
- Capitalization & Spelling Lesson Plans
- Elements of Grammar Lesson Plans
- English Usage Lesson Plans
- Punctuation in Writing Lesson Plans