About This Chapter
Contraception and Family Planning - Chapter Summary
Lessons in this chapter address the factors that influence a couple's decision to have children and present the advantages and disadvantages to various contraception methods. Instructors can also teach you about methods for preventing unplanned pregnancies and issues to consider before getting pregnant. This chapter can help you learn about:
- Types of contraception
- Considerations for pregnancy planning
- Legal issues regarding abortion
- Vasectomy and tubal ligation
Our lessons come with an entertaining video and a transcript so you can get the information in two ways. Transcripts are also seeded with highlighted key-vocabulary words and links to other articles that provide an enhanced contextual understanding of the subject matter. The instructors are available to answer any questions you may have via our user interface.
1. Barrier Methods of Contraceptives: Types, Advantages & Disadvantages
While you are probably all familiar with what a condom is, did you know there are a lot of other options out there for preventing pregnancy? Learn about some of the barrier methods of contraception in this lesson.
2. Hormonal Methods of Contraception: Introduction and Birth Control Pills
We have all heard of the birth control pill, right? And many of you women out there probably take some form of birth control. But do you really understand how it works or what the different options are? Learn about the basics of hormonal contraceptives in this lesson.
3. Hormonal Methods of Contraception: Contraceptive Patch, Ring, and Implants
Did you know there are many forms of contraception out there, and not just condoms and birth control pills? Learn about some of the other options in this lesson on hormone-based contraceptives.
4. Hormonal Methods of Contraception: Contraceptive Injections and IUDs
Did you know there are some methods of birth control that last up to five years! Or, if that is too long, some that last three months at a time? Learn about these two options in this lesson on contraceptive injections and IUDs.
5. Female Sterilization Procedures: Tubal Ligation and Tubal Occlusion
So, you and your spouse have reached that point in life where you are done having kids. What now? In this lesson, you will learn about some of the methods of permanent female sterilization available to women who have decided not to have any more children.
6. Supreme Court Case Roe v. Wade: Summary, Decision & Impact on Abortion
''Roe v. Wade, 1973'' was the landmark Supreme Court decision in regard to legalized abortion. Learn about the case, the decision and its impact on the United States.
7. Abortion and Miscarriage: Methods and Causes
This lesson will teach you whether exercise can cause a miscarriage, what the major cause of miscarriage is, and what the two major classes of abortion are.
8. Vasectomy: Purpose, Advantages & Disadvantages
You may have heard of a guy 'getting snipped,' a procedure otherwise known as a vasectomy. What this entails may be simpler than you think. Learn about the procedure, effects and reversal options in this lesson on the vasectomy.
9. Key Issues When Planning A Pregnancy
When planning a pregnancy, important things must be considered to ensure maximum safety of both mother and child. This includes taking an assessment of your medications, supplements, medical conditions, and habits.
10. Making the Decision to Have Children
In this lesson, I face one of my greatest fears: talking about having kids. We'll look at some points to consider, such as the costs and the way it changes a person's life. In addition, the idea of baby fever is also looked at.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the DSST Health & Human Development: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Introduction to Health and Wellness
- Psychosocial Health for Personal Wellness
- Mood Disorders and Personal Health
- Anxiety Disorders and Personal Health
- Psychotic Disorders and Personal Health
- Personality Disorders and Personal Health
- Stress Disorders and Personal Health
- Stress Management and Coping Mechanisms
- Addictive Behaviors and Drug Use
- Alcohol & Tobacco Use and Personal Health
- Drugs & Substance Use Disorders
- Healthy Relationships and Sexuality
- Human Reproduction, Pregnancy & Birth
- Sexual & Gender Identity Disorders and Personal Health
- Nutrition's Role in Health
- Fitness for Personal Health
- Weight Management for Personal Health
- The Aging Population and Personal Health
- Dying & Bereavement in Personal Health
- Cardiovascular, Respiratory, & Endocrine Health
- Cancer and Personal Health
- Immune Disorders & Infectious Conditions
- Diabetes, Arthritis, and Genetic-Related Disorders
- Neurological Disorders, Symptoms & Conditions
- Introduction to Environmental Health and Risk Analysis
- Environmental Health: Issues and Human Concerns
- Intentional Violence and Injury
- Personal Safety Precautions
- Consumer Awareness of Health Care
- DSST Informational Resources
- DSST Health & Human Development Flashcards