About This Chapter
Cooking and Dining in Spanish - Chapter Summary
Everyone has to eat, so you will need to know how to read recipes and other food orders in Spanish. In these lessons, you will start to build your food vocabulary, including the names of vegetables and fruits. Likewise, you will go over words associated with the act of cooking, including measuring terms, utensils, and the names of other kitchen tools. Cooking-related verbs will also be discussed in these lessons.
While many people spend time cooking, tourists usually go out to eat, so you may need to practice ordering from a menu. Ordering etiquette is essential, and the lessons in this chapter identify protocols for how to order food, how to communicate with wait staff, and how to pay for your meals. There is also a sample menu in these lessons to help you test your comprehension and language skills. After you finish this chapter, you should know the following key topics:
- Restaurant dining vocabulary
- Vegetable and fruit identification
- Words related to cooking in the kitchen
- Spanish menu reading
Our expert instructors offer you these lessons in the form of entertaining videos. Each short lesson is designed for visual and audio learners. Furthermore, each lesson is accompanied by a full transcript as well as a lesson quiz. If at any time you have questions that are not addressed within these videos, you can send your questions to our instructors, and they will respond promptly with answers.
1. Spanish Vocabulary for Cooking and the Kitchen
Cooking plays an important role in Latin American and Spanish cultures. Very frequently, friends and family get together to share delicious homemade dishes. This lesson will help you identify key Spanish vocabulary related to cooking and the kitchen.
2. Spanish Vocabulary for Dining in a Restaurant
It's a fact of life: you gotta eat. But when you're in a restaurant, there are a few middlemen between you and your food. This lesson will help you communicate effectively to make the dining process as easy as possible.
3. Practice Reading a Menu in Spanish
Learn to navigate your way through a Spanish menu to find yourself on a delicious culinary adventure! These keywords will allow you to feast or sample, and you can learn to order drinks, main dishes, desserts and more.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Spanish Exam (5195): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the Praxis Spanish Test
- Greetings & Introductions in Spanish
- Nouns and Gender in Spanish
- Weather and Seasons in Spanish
- Days & Dates in Spanish
- Spanish Numbers
- Telling Time in Spanish
- Describing People in Spanish
- AR Verbs in Spanish: Present Tense Conjugation and Vocabulary List
- Locations in Spanish: Vocabulary & Grammar
- ER and IR Verbs in Spanish: Present Tense
- Talking About Pastimes in Spanish
- Talking About Members of a Family in Spanish
- Describing a House in Spanish
- Chores in Spanish
- Shopping in Spanish
- Discussing the Past in Spanish
- Talking About Vacations in Spanish
- Discussing Community in Spanish
- TV, Movies & Media in Spanish
- Technology in Spanish
- As a Child in Spanish
- Spanish Fables
- Discussing Emergencies & Natural Disasters in Spanish
- Health and Safety Terms in Spanish
- At Work: Job Terms in Spanish
- Describing Future Plans in Spanish
- Giving Advice in Spanish
- Discussing International Politics in Spanish
- Advertising in Spanish
- If I were... Professions in Spanish
- Social Life in Spanish
- Beauty Salons and Barbers in Spanish
- Winter Activities in Spanish
- Transportation in Spanish
- Holidays in the Spanish-Speaking World
- Praxis Spanish Exam Flashcards