About This Chapter
COOP Exam: The Pythagorean Theorem - Chapter Objectives
These lessons can help you prepare for the Cooperative Admissions Examination Program (COOP) test by reviewing applications of the Pythagorean theorem. Once you've completed these lessons you should have a better understanding of:
- Finding the hypotenuse of a right triangle
- Solving for the shorter side of a right triangle
- Functional problems involving the Pythagorean theorem
- Converse and special cases with the Pythagorean theorem
In addition to watching the videos, read the text transcripts and take the lesson quizzes. The transcripts provide you with written overviews of the lessons that highlight key terms and vocabulary of the chapter. The lesson quizzes help you test your knowledge and find topics you don't know. If you find topics you don't know, return to the lessons with the video tags to improve your understanding of them.
COOP Exam: The Pythagorean Theorem Chapter Objectives
You will need to do well on the COOP exam if you are wanting to be admitted into specific Catholic high schools in the state of New Jersey. This chapter has been put together to help you prepare for questions on the mathematics subtest regarding geometry and the Pythagorean theorem. The mathematics subtest is the last of seven sections in the COOP exam. The test is made up of all multiple-choice questions.
1. The Pythagorean Theorem: Practice and Application
The Pythagorean theorem is one of the most famous geometric theorems. Written by the Greek mathematician Pythagoras, this theorem makes it possible to find a missing side length of a right triangle. Learn more about the famous theorem here and test your understanding with a quiz.
2. The Pythagorean Theorem: Converse and Special Cases
The Pythagorean Theorem is a famous theorem for right triangles. Watch this video to learn how the Pythagorean Theorem relates to the law of cosines and how the converse of the Pythagorean Theorem can help you identify right triangles.
3. How to Find the Hypotenuse of a Right Triangle Using the Pythagorean Theorem
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to use the Pythagorean Theorem and its resultant formula to help you find the length of the hypotenuse of a right triangle when you know the measurements of the triangle's two other sides.
4. How to Find Shorter Sides on a Right Triangle Using the Pythagorean Theorem
Sure, the Pythagorean Theorem is useful for finding the hypotenuse of a right triangle, but what about the other sides? As this lesson shows, it's just a matter of flipping the formula.
5. How to Solve Functional Problems Involving the Pythagorean Theorem
One of the most useful aspects of studying triangles is the Pythagorean Theorem. In this lesson, we use it to find the unknown length of a side of a triangle, whether it is a shorter side or the hypotenuse.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the COOP Exam - New Jersey: Practice & Study Guide course
- COOP Exam: Sequences & Analogies
- COOP Exam: Quantitative Reasoning
- COOP Exam: Verbal Reasoning & Word Meaning
- COOP Exam: Reading Interpretation & Analysis
- COOP Exam: Reading Comprehension & Language Expression
- COOP Exam: Numbers & Arithmetic Operations
- COOP Exam: Integers
- COOP Exam: Irrational & Rational Numbers
- COOP Exam: Inequalities
- COOP Exam: Estimation
- COOP Exam: Decimals
- COOP Exam: Fractions
- COOP Exam: Percent
- COOP Exam: Ratios, Rates & Proportion
- COOP Exam: Square Roots
- COOP Exam: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- COOP Exam: Scientific Notation
- COOP Exam: Measurement
- COOP Exam: Introduction to Geometry
- COOP Exam: Geometric Shape Properties
- COOP Exam: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- COOP Exam: Properties of Lines
- COOP Exam: Graphing Basics
- COOP Exam: Transformations
- COOP Exam: Triangles
- COOP Exam: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- COOP Exam: Tables, Charts & Graphs
- COOP Exam: Data Analysis & Statistics
- COOP Exam: Probability & Permutations
- COOP Exam: Math Sequences & Series
- COOP Exam: Properties of Functions
- COOP Exam: Graphing Functions
- COOP Exam: Mathematical Reasoning
- COOP Exam - New Jersey Flashcards