About This Chapter
Coordinate Geometry Basics - Chapter Summary
The ability to visualize is an important skill when working with geometry. Number lines can be handy tools and serve as illustrated representations of real numbers. This chapter fills you in on number lines, including how to identify points on them and how to locate the origin of a number line.
These lessons can also help you understand Cartesian plane graphs and their parts, such as x-coordinates, y-coordinates and quadrants. You can also learn to plot points on a graph and find the x- and y-intercepts. The following topics appear in this chapter and can be used to help you prepare for the SAT subject test in advanced math concepts:
- Using the number line for addition and subtraction problems
- Solving problems with negative numbers by using number lines
- Axes and intercept on a graph
- Rene Descartes and his idea of the Cartesian coordinate plane
- Use of an ordered pair for labeling points
Well-informed professionals present this chapter's lessons, making learning fun and interesting. Lessons include videos, text transcripts and quizzes. You can open the timelines to expose video tags that will take you back to specific portions of the videos for additional review. Lessons have accompanying multiple-choice quizzes, which can give you beneficial practice for the subject test.
Coordinate Geometry Basics Objectives
If you're good at math and have mastered concepts like trigonometry, probability and math functions, you might consider taking the Math 2 SAT Subject Test to help you stand out from the crowd during the college admissions process. This test has 50 multiple-choice questions covering four main content areas. This chapter on coordinate geometry basics can be used to prepare for the geometry and measurement content area, which represents about 30% of the test.
1. What Are the Different Parts of a Graph?
Being able to read a graph isn't just vital for an algebra class. Graphs and charts are used everywhere! We'll take a crash course on the basic x/y plane used in algebra and the fundamental vocab you need.
2. Plotting Points on the Coordinate Plane
If you'll be working with a graph, otherwise known as the coordinate plane, it's essential to understand how it works. This includes learning the parts of a graph, identifying points and plotting points.
3. Graph Functions by Plotting Points
Let's say you have a function. What does it look like? How do you graph it? In this lesson, we'll learn how to graph functions by determining and plotting points.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the SAT Subject Test Mathematics Level 2: Practice and Study Guide course
- Structure & Strategies for the SAT Math Level 2
- Basic Math Review
- Square Roots
- Basic Algebraic Expressions
- Algebraic Linear Equations & Inequalities
- Algebra: Absolute Value Equations & Inequalities
- Algebra: Polynomials
- Functions in Math
- Algebra: Rational Expressions
- Understanding Sequences & Series
- Understanding Exponentials & Logarithms
- Complex and Imaginary Numbers
- Coordinate Geometry: Graphing Linear Equations & Inequalities
- Advanced Coordinate Geometry
- Three-Dimensional Geometry
- Overview of Trigonometry
- Probability, Combinations & Permutations
- Working with Data & Statistics
- Basic Mathematical Logic
- Limits of Functions
- SAT Subject Test Mathematics Level 2 Flashcards