About This Chapter
Corporate Social Responsibility & the Community - Chapter Summary
Work through this comprehensive business chapter at any time to study corporate social responsibility and the community. These entertaining and informative video lessons examine the foundations of corporate social responsibility as well as corporate giving strategies, corporate citizenship and corporate social performance. Our expert business instructors also show you how businesses and communities interact and create partnerships. The chapter includes short self-assessment quizzes to help you make sure you fully understand the material. You can submit questions to our instructors if you have any, and each lesson comes with a printable transcript. When you're finished with the chapter, you should be able to:
- Recognize the origins of social responsibility
- Identify the different levels of corporate social responsibility
- Assess the ethics of corporate social responsibility
- Outline the five stages of corporate citizenship
- Evaluate the responsibilities of corporate social performance
- Describe partnerships and interactions between businesses and communities
- Understand the purpose of a business' community relations department
- Explain how community relationships are built through corporate giving strategies
1. The Origins of Social Responsibility
Although the idea of business helping society can be traced back to ancient times, the full thrust of corporate social responsibility was born in the 1950s. In this lesson, you will learn the origins of social responsibility.
2. The Levels of Corporate Social Responsibility
Most companies do not start as socially-responsible companies. In fact, the path to embracing corporate social responsibility consists of four different levels that companies progress through that will benefit their stakeholders.
3. Business Ethics: Corporate Social Responsibility
Now that companies are concerned with society's welfare, corporate social responsibility is a controversial topic. In this lesson, learn the two theories of social responsibility and the arguments for and against the practice.
4. Corporate Citizenship: Definition & the Five Stages
Corporate citizenship is being adopted by more companies who have come to understand the importance of the ethical treatment of stakeholders. In this lesson, you will learn the definition and the five stages of corporate citizenship.
5. Corporate Social Performance: Definition & Responsibilities
How can managers judge if their company is providing good corporate citizenship or being socially responsible? In this lesson, you will learn about how a corporate social performance model is used to critique if a company is providing shareholder satisfaction.
6. Business & the Community: Partnerships & Interactions
Businesses and communities depend on each other for support to create a flourishing, stable, and profitable society. In this lesson, you will learn about the interdependencies between companies and communities as well as their collaborative partnerships.
7. Responsibilities of a Business' Community Relations Department
Community relations departments reach out to establish relationships with business, government and community in order to foster business success. In this lesson, you will learn the major responsibilities of community relations departments.
8. Corporate Giving Strategies: Building Community Relationships
Corporate giving is essential to building strong relationships between businesses and communities. In this lesson, you will learn how companies can direct their giving strategically to further their own business objectives.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the UExcel Business Ethics: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Business, Government & Society Overview
- Understanding Business Ethics
- The Interaction of Business, Government & Society
- Understanding Management & Stakeholders in Business
- Public Affairs & Crisis Management for Business
- Employer-Employee Relationships
- Promoting Diversity in the Workforce
- Stockholders & Corporate Governance
- Consumer Rights & Protections
- The Importance of Ethics in Advertising
- Business & Special Interest Groups
- The US Government & Legislation
- Regulations & Public Policy for Business
- The Judicial Branch of the US Government
- Business & Antitrust Laws
- Global Business Environment Overview
- Understanding International Trade & Business Law
- Understanding Technology in Business
- Understanding Environmental Issues in Business
- UExcel Business Ethics Flashcards