About This Chapter
Counting & Cardinality in the Classroom - Chapter Summary
Work through this chapter at your own pace to review topics related to counting and cardinality in the classroom. Through a series of engaging lessons, you'll learn how to effectively teach children about counting, number recognition, numeration and number sense. Try the included self-assessments to check your understanding of the material and retain the information you study. You'll be able to access this chapter at any time that fits your schedule. Your course dashboard will keep track of your progress, and you can reach out to our instructors if you have any questions about the lesson topics. When you're finished with the chapter, you should be able to:
- Assess number recognition
- Instruct children on number sense and numeration
- Teach young students how to count
1. Teaching & Assessing Number Recognition
Children need visual and tactile experiences with numbers in order to recognize them. Recognizing numbers in the environment, visual discrimination, developing one to one correspondence, and subitizing will be addressed in this lesson.
2. Teaching Numeration & Number Sense to Children
Number sense relies on background knowledge that is built up over time. Learn more about how to build a connection between numeration and number sense when teaching children at the elementary level.
3. Teaching Kids How to Count
In this lesson, discover how children learn to count. The stages of stable order, one-to-one correspondence, cardinality, and order irrelevance will be discussed, and instructional strategies for how to teach each will also be covered.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Education 211: Teaching Elementary Math course
- Understanding Math Standards
- Developing Math Curriculum
- Planning Math Instruction
- Instructional Strategies for Math Teachers
- Creating Math Learning Environments
- Assessments for Teaching Math
- Educational Resources for Teaching Math
- Teaching Mathematical Operations
- Algebraic Thinking in the Classroom
- Teaching Base 10 & Fractions
- Teaching Standard & Metric Measurements
- Teaching Time & Money
- Teaching Geometry Basics
- Geometric Measurements in the Classroom
- Teaching the Coordinate Plane
- Teaching Graphical Data Identification