About This Chapter
Counting, Number Patterns & Estimation for Kids - Chapter Summary
This chapter offers a variety of lessons you can use to enhance your students' comprehension of counting, number patterns and estimation. Whether they are learning these concepts for the first time or getting quick refresher, this chapter can help them understand frequency, place value, skip counting and more. Upon completion of this chapter, your students will be able to:
- Identify and describe different types of numbers
- Define 3rd grade vocabulary words
- Put numbers in order
- Share the meaning and rules of patterns in math
- Demonstrate an ability to skip count
- Describe frequency
- Showcase their knowledge of place value
- Understand estimation
Feel free to select the lessons you would like your students to review based on their existing counting, number patterns and estimation comprehension. Lessons can be viewed in any sequence and revisited as often as needed. Find out how much your students understand using the lesson quizzes and chapter exam. Be sure to send any questions about topics covered in this chapter to our subject-matter experts.
1. What are the Different Types of Numbers?
Learn all of the different types of numbers: natural numbers, whole numbers, integers, rational numbers, irrational numbers, and real numbers. This video lesson teaches you how to classify any numbers you come across.
2. 3rd Grade Math Vocabulary: Lesson for Kids
This lesson contains some of the words that are often used in 3rd Grade math lessons. These are words that you will continue to use in future math lessons throughout the years.
3. How to Put Numbers in Order
After watching this video lesson, you will know how to order numbers from smallest to largest and from largest to smallest. You will also know how to compare numbers to figure out which goes first and which goes last.
4. What is a Pattern in Math? - Definition & Rules
Some people say that doing the same thing over and over again will not get you results, but this lesson will teach you about mathematical patterns and show you how to prove those people wrong.
5. How to Skip Count
In this lesson, you will learn how you can skip count. Find out how to count by twos and by threes, and see how you can skip count by any given number.
6. Frequency Definition: Lesson for Kids
Sometimes you may want to know how often things happen or you want to keep track of how many of one thing or the other you have. That is where frequency and a frequency table will be helpful.
7. Place Value Games for Kids
Digits have a certain value depending on what place they are in a number. Learn how to play games to practice understanding the value of each place in 2, 3 and 4 digit numbers!
8. Estimation: Lesson for Kids
Estimation is a useful tool for finding approximate answers to math equations. In this lesson, you can learn the rules for estimation and practice estimating money.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NAPLAN Year 3: Test Prep & Practice course
- Understanding the NAPLAN Tests
- Overview of Grammar for Kids
- Spelling & Capitalization for Kids
- Punctuation Rules for Kids
- Reading Comprehension for Kids
- The Writing Process for Kids
- Decimals & Fractions for Kids
- Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication & Division for Kids
- Math Word Problems for Kids
- Understanding Geometry for Kids
- Time, Money & Measurement for Kids
- Reading Basic Graphs, Charts & Figures for Kids
- NAPLAN Year 3 Flashcards