About This Chapter
Create and Manage Presentations in PowerPoint: Chapter Summary
In this lesson, you'll learn how easy it is to produce a professional slide presentation using Microsoft PowerPoint software. By following the step-by-step instructions, you'll find out how to import a Word document and work with slides and layouts. The instructor will also show you how to personalize your presentation by modifying the page setup options and views. Tips and techniques for packaging and presenting slide shows are covered as well.
Our video tutorials are taught by PowerPoint masters and organized into easy-to-manage, focused lessons. Each video includes an online self-assessment quiz that shows you how well you absorbed the materials.
When you've completed this chapter, you should know how to:
- Create a PowerPoint Presentation with blank slides
- Format a slide presentation, including modification of background colors, images and themes
- Add and format slide footers, headers and numbers
- Use views to navigate a PowerPoint presentation
- Modify presentation properties
- Set and print in PowerPoint, including handouts and notes
- Package a PowerPoint presentation, including CDs and websites
- Ensure backwards compatibility
- Plan and time a presentation
- Use Presenter View and annotate, configure and navigate slideshows
Note: all demonstrations in this chapter will be using Microsoft PowerPoint 2013. Certain features, tools or displays may be different in other versions.
1. How to Create a PowerPoint Presentation Using a Template
Templates provide a quick way to create a new PowerPoint presentation. Learn about the use of design and content templates to create a consistent look and feel for your presentation.
2. How to Create a Blank PowerPoint Presentation
When starting a new PowerPoint presentation, you can create a blank presentation from scratch. Learn how to apply basic design elements to a blank presentation.
3. How to Import Text Files into your PowerPoint Presentation
You can create a new PowerPoint presentation by importing existing text from a file. Learn about the difference between importing unformatted text and importing an outline specifically created in Word.
4. Understanding PowerPoint Slide Masters and Layouts
This lesson will help you understand Slide Masters and Slide Layouts in PowerPoint. Both of these features are great time-savers when creating your PowerPoint slides.
5. Formatting Your PowerPoint Presentation Using Slide Masters and Layouts
The use of slide masters makes it easier for you to control the design of your presentation. Learn how to use slide masters to apply existing layouts and create custom layouts.
6. Introduction to Themes and Backgrounds in Powerpoint
Have you ever spent endless hours creating slides and wished that you could quickly add a bit of flair? In this lesson, you will be introduced to themes and backgrounds: one way to take your slides from boring to captivating.
7. How to Modify Your PowerPoint Presentation's Theme and Background
Themes in PowerPoint are a quick way to control the overall design of your presentation. Learn how to apply and customize a theme, including the use of different backgrounds.
8. How to Add and Customize Headers and Footers in Powerpoint
In this lesson, we will discuss the purpose of headers and footers when creating PowerPoint slides. This feature in PowerPoint allows you to add more detailed information, such as a page number or date/time information, to your slides.
9. How to Add and Format Slide Numbers, Headers and Footers in PowerPoint
PowerPoint contains many options for adding details to your presentation. Learn about using header and footer elements such as page numbers, slide number, date and time, and footer text.
10. How to Change Page Setup and Grayscale Options
Presentations are typically sized to the computer monitor, but display sizes vary between computers. Learn how to customize the sizes of your slides and how to view a grayscale version of your presentation for printing.
11. How to Use Views to Navigate Your PowerPoint Presentation
PowerPoint has a number of different views to work with when working on your presentation. Learn about the different views and how they provide different ways to look at and work with your presentation in this video lesson.
12. Understanding Slide Orientation in PowerPoint
In this lesson, we will review slide orientation and slide size in PowerPoint. By default, the slide orientation is landscape and the size is standard, but you can also change your slides to portrait and size them for widescreen.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Intro to PowerPoint: Essential Training & Tutorials course