About This Chapter
Creating Comprehensive School Counseling Programs - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter will help you brush up on what you've previously learned about creating school counseling programs. By the end of this chapter, you will have examined:
- Components of comprehensive programs
- Common issues and counseling in elementary school
- Issues and counseling with middle/secondary school students
- Psychological testing
The lessons in this chapter have been developed by premier educators in the field to provide you with several methods for learning. Watch short videos for a visual exhibition of the material. Use the video's transcript for text-based learning. Take self-assessment quizzes at the end of each lesson to apply what you've learned. And at the end of the chapter, you will find a comprehensive test evaluating your comprehension of all the material you have reviewed.
1. Elements of a Comprehensive School Counseling Program
This lesson will discuss the essential elements of a comprehensive school counseling program. The lesson will end with a brief quiz to test what you have learned.
2. Counseling in Elementary Schools
Ever wonder what an elementary school counselor does? In this lesson, we will look into counseling at an elementary school, including types of counseling and strategies used in the process.
3. Common Issues with Elementary School Children
While childhood is meant to be a happy time, there are many children for whom it is a time of emotional difficulty. This lesson looks into some challenges that are common to elementary-aged children.
4. Counseling in Middle/Secondary Schools
How do middle and high school counselors guide their students? In this lesson, we're going to look into the different formats they use and how these benefit their students.
5. Common Issues with Middle/Secondary School Children
You may have had a tough time during your middle or high school years; during that time, it's common for teens to go through various emotional challenges. Here, we will look into several issues that are commonly faced during this time.
6. Testing and Assessment in Counseling: Types & Uses
Why do counselors test their clients? What kind of assessments are out there? This lesson looks into these and other issues of testing and assessment.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - School Psychologist (042): Practice & Study Guide course
- Theories of Human Development
- Language & Social Development
- Mental Health Issues & Disorders
- Basics of Developmental Learning Theories
- Preparing for Diverse Learning Environments
- Encouraging Learning through School-Wide Practices
- Curriculum Strategy & Development
- Forms & Methods of Assessment of Learning
- Learning Assessment Issues
- Crisis Intervention Considerations for School Counselors
- Counseling Individuals & Groups
- Providing Effective Career Counseling
- Providing Effective College Counseling
- Theories & Methods of Counseling
- Diversity Issues in School Counseling
- Research & Data Collection
- Researching & Evaluating Education Programs
- Elements of Effective Communication
- Visual Representation of Information
- Communicating via Technology
- Communication & Collaboration
- Psychological Consultation & Collaboration in Schools
- Functions of the Guidance Counselor
- Professional Principles for School Psychologists
- Psychological Assessments for Special Populations
- Legal Issues & Government Policies
- Ohio Assessments for Educators School Psychologist Flashcards