About This Chapter
Creating Culturally Inclusive Learning Environments - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll find a series of bite-sized lessons that outline strategies for creating culturally inclusive learning environments. These fun topical lessons also cover concepts related to cultural diversity, cooperative learning, learning expectations and classroom management. Upon completion of the chapter, you'll be able to:
- Recognize effective strategies for culturally-responsive classroom management
- Make accommodations for ELL students in the classroom
- Describe inclusive classroom environments
- Explain how teachers go about creating respectful learning environments
- Teach students about diversity
- Support cultural diversity in the classroom
- Set learning and achievement expectations in classroom settings
- Define the concept of cooperative learning
Be sure to take the accompanying self-assessment quizzes as well as the multiple-choice chapter exam. You can revisit the lessons and quizzes as many times as needed, and the chapter is accessible on any computer or mobile device. If you have any questions about the chapter material, simply submit them to our instructors online.
1. Culturally-Responsive Classroom Management Strategies
A student's culture can play a large part in how they learn. When it comes to classroom management, knowing how to respond to and incorporate students' cultures can enhance student learning. Read on to learn more about culturally-responsive classroom management strategies.
2. Classroom Accommodations for ELL Students
In this lesson, you will learn various techniques for selecting appropriate instructional and testing accommodations for English Language Learners in the content-area classroom.
3. Inclusive Classroom: Definition, Strategies & Environment
Creating and maintaining a successful inclusive classroom requires much thought and collaboration. This lesson will introduce the concept of inclusive classrooms and how you can make your classroom successful for inclusion.
4. Creating a Respectful Learning Environment
What is respect? How can teachers create a respectful learning environment? Teachers, students, and schools all play a role in fostering respect for others in academic settings. This lesson offers useful strategies for promoting inclusion and respectful behavior in schools.
5. Teaching Diversity in the Classroom
Diversity is a key aspect of what students can learn in school. This lesson may give you some ideas about helping students appreciate and understand diversity in helpful and meaningful ways.
6. Creating a Classroom Environment that Supports Cultural Diversity
All teachers want students to feel accepted and valued in their classroom. In this lesson, learn how to create a classroom environment that supports the cultural diversity of your students.
7. Setting Expectations for Learning & Achievement in the Classroom
Effective teachers set clear learning expectations. This lesson shows how to set and communicate these expectations and gives examples of how this looks in a classroom.
8. What is Cooperative Learning? - Definition & Methods
Find out what cooperative learning is and learn about its different elements. Examine how to apply cooperative learning methods in the classroom. After the lesson, you can test your understanding with a quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CTEL 3 - Culture & Inclusion (033): Practice & Study Guide course
- Cultural Concepts & Perspectives in Education
- Factors Affecting English Learners
- Cultural Contact in the Classroom
- Cultural Diversity in California & the U.S.
- Cross-Cultural Interaction in Education
- Family & Community Involvement in Culturally Inclusive Education
- Culturally Inclusive Curriculum & Instruction
- CTEL Culture & Inclusion Flashcards