About This Chapter
Creating Worksheets & Workbooks in Excel: Chapter Summary
Get a feel for this spreadsheet software with introductory lessons that show you what, exactly, workbooks are and help you explore some of their characteristics. Our instructors can also help you discern whether you would prefer a blank workbook that allows you to start from scratch and choose your own formatting options or one of several pre-existing workbook templates designed with a specific purpose in mind. You can also learn how to create and save your own template for future use.
Additional topics of instruction show you how to open files in Excel and import data or text. The chapter concludes with lessons on the processes required to add worksheets if you'd like more than three in a particular workbook. You can also learn how to rearrange worksheets and copy them for use in other workbooks.
The entertaining video lessons included in this chapter are organized in a way that allows you to tackle one task at a time. If you choose to take on the entire chapter, the lessons move seamlessly from one topic to the next. You can even chart your progress and check you understanding of each lesson before moving on to the next with our short, self-guided multiple-choice quizzes.
Use this chapter to learn how to do the following:
- Create blank workbooks
- Use workbook templates
- Import and open files directly in Excel
- Add and copy worksheets within a workbook
- Move worksheets within a workbook
(Note: All demonstrations in this chapter will be using Microsoft Excel 2013. Certain features, tools, or displays may be different in other versions.)
Microsoft Excel is a trademark of the Microsoft Corporation, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Creating Workbooks in Excel: Blank Workbooks and Templates
In Excel, a workbook is an entire file that may contain multiple worksheets, similar to a physical book containing many pages. Learn how to set up your own workbook in Excel and how preset templates can be useful in organizing the sheets.
2. How to Import and Open Files Directly in Excel
Excel is an excellent tool to master when processing data sets and spreadsheets because of its ability to read and rewrite data in other software formats. Learn how .CSV and .TXT files may be imported and opened directly in Excel.
3. How to Add, Copy, and Move Worksheets Within Excel Workbooks
In Microsoft Excel, users can add, copy, or move worksheets to compile data. Learn about combining documents, worksheets vs. workbooks, and how to add, copy, or move worksheets within Excel workbooks.
4. What is a Workbook in Excel? - Characteristics and Options
Microsoft Excel is a spreadsheet software that allows users to easily organize information. Learn more about the characteristics and workbook options in Excel.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the Intro to Excel: Essential Training & Tutorials course
- Formatting Worksheets & Workbooks in Excel
- Customizing Options & Views in Excel
- Configure to Print & Save in Excel
- Format Cells & Ranges in Excel
- Insert Data in Cells and Ranges in Excel
- Filter and Sort a Table in Excel
- Order & Group Cells & Ranges in Excel
- Create a Table in Excel
- Modify a Table in Excel
- Use Cell Ranges & References for Formulas & Functions in Excel
- Summarize Data with Functions in Excel
- Functions with Conditional Logic in Excel
- Format & Modify Text with Functions in Excel
- Create a Chart in Excel