About This Chapter
Creating Worksheets & Workbooks in Excel: Chapter Summary
Get a feel for this spreadsheet software with introductory lessons that show you what, exactly, workbooks are and help you explore some of their characteristics. Our instructors can also help you discern whether you would prefer a blank workbook that allows you to start from scratch and choose your own formatting options or one of several pre-existing workbook templates designed with a specific purpose in mind. You can also learn how to create and save your own template for future use.
Additional topics of instruction show you how to open files in Excel and import data or text. The chapter concludes with lessons on the processes required to add worksheets if you'd like more than three in a particular workbook. You can also learn how to rearrange worksheets and copy them for use in other workbooks.
The entertaining video lessons included in this chapter are organized in a way that allows you to tackle one task at a time. If you choose to take on the entire chapter, the lessons move seamlessly from one topic to the next. You can even chart your progress and check you understanding of each lesson before moving on to the next with our short, self-guided multiple-choice quizzes.
Use this chapter to learn how to do the following:
- Create blank workbooks
- Use workbook templates
- Import and open files directly in Excel
- Add and copy worksheets within a workbook
- Move worksheets within a workbook
(Note: All demonstrations in this chapter will be using Microsoft Excel 2013. Certain features, tools, or displays may be different in other versions.)
Microsoft Excel is a trademark of the Microsoft Corporation, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Creating Workbooks in Excel: Blank Workbooks and Templates
With a program as powerful and useful as Excel, it is sometimes difficult to know where to start. In this lesson, we take a look at how to get to work with Excel, using both blank workbooks and templates.
2. How to Import and Open Files Directly in Excel
In this lesson, we are going to learn how to open the different file formats that Excel works with and how to import different types of files that excel can transform into spreadsheets.
3. How to Add, Copy, and Move Worksheets Within Excel Workbooks
Excel is a great tool for organizing information and large amounts of data. But, how do you organize different worksheets in Excel? Watch this lesson to find out how to add, copy, and move worksheets in Excel.
4. What is a Workbook in Excel? - Characteristics and Options
Excel allows users to organize data, but to organize your information most effectively, you should understand the difference in workbooks and worksheets, and how to use workbooks. Watch this lesson to find out how.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Intro to Excel: Essential Training & Tutorials course
- Formatting Worksheets & Workbooks in Excel
- Customizing Options & Views in Excel
- Configure to Print & Save in Excel
- Format Cells & Ranges in Excel
- Insert Data in Cells and Ranges in Excel
- Filter and Sort a Table in Excel
- Order & Group Cells & Ranges in Excel
- Create a Table in Excel
- Modify a Table in Excel
- Use Cell Ranges & References for Formulas & Functions in Excel
- Summarize Data with Functions in Excel
- Functions with Conditional Logic in Excel
- Format & Modify Text with Functions in Excel
- Create a Chart in Excel